.22 magnum rifles

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jake, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Jake

Jake New Member

I am looking to buy a new .22 mag. rifle but can't decide what brand to go with. I want a bolt action with a 20 inch or longer barrel. Can anyone give me some ideas on a gun like this?
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Remington
    Ruger
    Savage
    Anschutz
    CZ
    ....and the list grows if you like older rimfires.

LTS
  3. Jake

Jake New Member

Have looked at a savage model 93. $215 is the asking price. Are they a good gun.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Savage turns out some accurate guns, I would suspect that model is as well.
    I am a big fan of the accu-trigger......but do not believe it has made it to all the rimfire lineup yet. I would also check "Rimfire Central" as they work everything over pretty hard---custom and otherwise.

LTS

BTW.........WELCOME!!
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Savage's are great rifles

Hey LTS my dealer has a .17 with the accu trigger but I haven't seen any .22's yet with it
  6. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

marlin makes , any of it's old 83 series, or 82 series. they are allways accurate, have a great big rifle feel to them, especially if you get one with a wood stock. I have two old marlins, and am actually selling one of them , the 783. Tube fed, with a beautiful stick of wood, the tube feds will actually hold 12 plus 1. I have yet to have a marlin in 22 mag that was not moa accurate with at least one or more brand of ammo , out to 100 m.
  7. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

The Mossberg 640 Chucksters are good accurate 24" bbl'd 22 mags. but you will need to work the trigger as they are crap stock.I have one that shoots 3/8" at 100yds.--JIM--AKA--JMJ--
  8. Jake

Jake New Member

I think I've decided to go with the cz. From all I've heard they sound hard to beat. Thanks for the advice everybody!
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

CZ American in .22 WMR.:D
  10. Jake

Jake New Member

Thats the one
  11. Pomy11

Pomy11 New Member

Hey Jake, I have the CZ 452 American 22 Mag. It's boring when all 50 rounds go thru the same hole! No kidding they are that accurate. You'll love shooting them, I use refilled plastic water bottles for targets, fun.
  12. Jake

Jake New Member

How should I break the barrel in, or do I need to?
  13. clmanges

clmanges New Member

CZ's an excellent choice. As to barrel break-in, see the thread about it in the Technical forum -- and then make up your own mind. I think CZ laps all their barrels, so break-in should be quicker, but I think it's a good idea. BTW, does the one you're getting have the single-set trigger? I just sent my CZ catalog to my brother, and I don't remember.
    Anyway, have fun with it!
  14. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Jake, Iam glad to see you are interested in"the old girl" with the .17 HMR guys running rampant. The killing pwer is much greater with the .22. My favorite rifle, unfortunately is not USA made. It is a CZ 452. I have 3 of them and the Mag will stay around 1.25" at 100Yrds for 5 shots. It is one of the few guns that the barrel screws into the reciever like a centerfire, Whitch I think contributes to their fine accuracy. Gun like the Rem.40X and Win.52 are also built this way. The cz action is very similar to a 52 Winchesters, except for the firing pin assembly. I know the pric of the CZ is alot higher than when I got mine, but I susspect that the other have increased as well. Kirk:)
  15. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

most 22 mas are hit and miss. Cz would be my choice for new. howver, if you can find an old mossberg chuckster, or an old marlin mod 782 or 783, jump on them!!! tow of the most accurate 22 mags ever made!!!
  16. Jake

Jake New Member

Bought the CZ 452 American, god what a jewel. Haven't got a chance to really sight it in yet but it's looking good at 50 yards. 100 yards at present is around 4 inches, but, this is after only 10 rounds total with a new scope that wasn't bore sighted. I aint complainin!
  17. keither

keither New Member

Well say hi to a new reciepient of a Mossy model 640K. Having read, i think, all of the postings i now have some questions. I am thinking about adding a scope and noted one post ie BKL offset rings?? Check a couple of gun co's and could not find any info. Would you please give me a specific address or e-mail so i can get some knowledge. Thanks
  18. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

My wife gave me a Henry (H003TM) for Christmas last year. It is a .22 magnum pump with a 20 inch octagon barrel. I used a Millett scope mount that converts the tip-off to Picatinny/Weaver. It is very accurate.
  19. dugasgunner

dugasgunner New Member

I got myself a Zastava Z-5 in WMR. Well made and inexpensive. Mine is top with a mueller APV. But of course with a CZ, you will be happy. Hope you will love WMR as much as i do.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

There's no better .22WMR than the Marlin 982-VS that's currently in production in America.

Except maybe a used Marlin 25MN ;)
    [​IMG]

Tack-driver doesn't even begin to describe how precise they are.
    Pick a target, prepare for one-ragged-hole groups.

Coyotes at 100-150 yards, no problem.
    My scope of choice, a Center Point 4-16x40
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010