22 Magnum. What's the point?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Sensei, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Sensei

Sensei New Member

I hope I'm not sounding too noobish, but what is the point of using Magnum 22 rifles or pistols?

Isn't the whole point of the 22 that it is really cheap to shoot? Why pay more for 22 Mag ammo when you could just move up to .223 or something else?

Please enlighten me.
  2. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

the good thing about 22mags are, within 150 yds, you can take just about any varmint game out there. within 100 yds, you can take coyotes. The report is not so loud as to scare off every critter, as a 223 will. If you like pdog shooting , you can use the remmy premiers or the winny's at 30 and 33 grners respectively, to give you 150yd or longer shots. since pdogs have excellent hearing, they will judge your 223 for depth vibration, and start popping up at an extra long distance. Not so much with the 22mag, they will judge you at being in 22lr range, and they will be wrong. Plus 50 rounds for avg of 8 bucks, or at gunshows you can get 50 rounds for 6 bucks here in Houston, still cheaper than 223.
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

The point is rimfire anything is not only cheaper, it is quite-ur and fun-ur.
    Guess in your thinking the .17HMR also has no use.

It took years for me to warm up to the hummer, when I finally did---the fun with crows became a whole new experience.

Cides that the .22mag throws a bigger bullet at great speed. The Remington 33 grainers clock out at close to 2200fps out of my ruger.

Dramatic when contact is made, even more so than the hummer sometimes.

LTS
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Also it has a good apllication if someone wants a little hideout/throwdown revolver they can have one with a little more power
  5. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

Why stop at the .223 when you could use a .243? Heck why not use a .458?
    The .22 mag definately has it's place. For some it's a matter of the reduced recoil over the centerfire cartridges. For others the report (noise). there's also circumstances where a centefire is just too much, especially at closer ranges.
  6. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

My sister has one of them little .22 mag dbl action derringers. Can't hit the broad side of a barn at over 5 or 10 ft. but when it goes, off it's an eardrum buster. If she doesn't hit who she's shooting at it will sure scare the pants off him.
  7. BIGBOOMER

BIGBOOMER New Member

Basically it's for when a 22 LR ain't quite enough and a 22 Hornet is a tad too much. ;) :D