22 mini mag shells

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jim summers, Jan 5, 2010.

1. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I have a Winchester Model 190 22 rifle i also have a couple of boxes of CCI long rifle shells that say mini mag on them will these mini mags do any harm or damage to my 22 if i shoot them in it?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

They will be just fine. Those are my favorite .22LR shells and I use them in my rifles and pistol.
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Thank you PC70
    This makes me feel better about shooting them in my 22.
  4. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I asked for 22 magnum shells last year, at my favorite gun shop, and they (She) gave me CCI Mini Mags. I kept them because they were priced right and they are good ammo, too!
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think CCI's ad people believed that "Mini Mag" would be such a cool name for a high velocity Long Rifle, because it wasn't quite a "magnum", but it is so fast it is a "mini magnum". Makes 'em sound like they are much faster than the competition's shells. This would get more people to buy them.

I don't think they are faster, or if they are it's not by much, but Mini Mags are a great shell, regardless.

And, of course, they call their 22 Magnum, Maxi Mags.
  6. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Good marketing ploy, good product too.
  7. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Want more speed use a lighter bullet and I think that is what they did.
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I think that's the new strategy to some extent however I thought that the old .22 Mini Mags were actually 40 Gr. in their hollow point rounds (mid-1990s). The new ones are 36 Gr. They also decreased their velocity on their Stinger rounds over the years. I wonder if there was a pressure concern? :confused:
  9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

They aren't any different as far as energy or velocity than any other high-velocity .22 rounds out there.90% of what people shoot and simply call .22 shells are actually high-velocity rounds.People have gotten used to a .22 as having a standard velocity of 1250fps-but originally .22LRs had a velocity of maybe 1000fps.I don't think that the energy to push a 40 grain bullet 250fps faster will ever harm any .22 gun.40 grain@1250fps=139ft lbs-40 grain at 1000fps=89ft lbs.Will an extra measly 50 lbs of energy blow up your gun?I highly doubt it.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that the Stingers had slowed down, but when they came out they had what CCI called a "Penta-point". Five-sided hollowpoint. Whether or not that actually helped with expansion, or was just advertising fluff, I don't know. But now they just have a normal, round, hollowpoint.
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I do remember a sharply decreased velocity claim through the CCI Stingers throughout the years. I remember 1700+ FPS to nearly 1600+ FPS. I don't know the reasoning but I do seem to remember the ratings. I don't know why they decreased their velocity rating. That's what I hope to find out here *IF I remembered correctly*. In 1994 or so I seem to remember higher velocities for the Stingers. :)
  12. johnmpeters

johnmpeters New Member

Thats a good point, ammo manufacturers have been loading .22lr in th 1250fps range so long it's almost considered normal velocity now. Now most standard velocity rounds in the 1000fps range are marketed as subsonics.