.22 Misfires/FTF Fail to fire

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ninjatoth, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

How often do you get fail to fire(FTF),misfires,etc?I used to shoot bolt action and semi auto .22 rifles when I was a kid,and would get maybe 1-2 misfires for every 50 rounds or so in rifles.I recently got a Taurus .22 revolver and the misfire rate was astronomical.1/3 of all shots were FTFs.I asked around and heard that handguns didn't strike the case as hard as a rifle does,resulting in more FTFs.After some time I decided to send my handgun to be repaired.Taurus sent me a totally new gun.I was astonished to go through about 750 rounds before it FTFed for the very first time,and it happened to be a bad bullet,I restruck it with no fire and discarded the round and went on with no more FTFs.I can say I am virtually misfire free,I just never knew how good and reliable a good .22 can be.I was just used to the old not so good rifles and bad handguns,and finally got a good gun that fires right.I used to simply think .22s were unreliable.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Cheap .22 ammo is often unreliable. Remington seems to be the worst (which is unfortunate, because their centerfire ammo and their firearms are great).

Glad to hear that Taurus took care of you. We all hear about it when someone feels slighted by one of the companies; it's nice to hear the positive reports, too.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I find three or four FTF's every 500 rounds in the 'bulk pack' ammo that I shoot. Sometimes I retry, adjusting the strike point on the rim. Usually they still FTF, so it must be a lack of priming medium, not a firearm issue.
  4. fyimo

fyimo New Member

You will almost never not have a few FTF with 22 ammo no matter what brand. It's the nature of the beast I guess. I'm glad Taurus took care of your problem though. The rate you were experiencing is a gun problem and not an ammo problem. :)
  5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I knew something was wrong with the gun when my father in law got me some bulk remington ammo,and a couple of times I loaded 9 rounds and got all 9 to misfire,and he took them with him and got home and fired the remingtons fine out of his single action.Taurus and my sports store where I bought the gun from took excellent care of me.Taurus took forever,but when they did come through,they sent me a new stainless revolver to replace my blued.They did call and ask if it was ok too,I said yes.I paid $290 originally and ended up with a $436 gun,and my FFL(sports store)didn't charge me a cent for shipping,so all in all I came out pretty good.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i get 2 or 3 misfires for a box of 550 of federals. more for remingtons. i used to shoot a lot of cci blazer and winchester wildcat and federal american eagle, and if i recall correctly i never had any problems out of any of the three
  7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I went through 200 cci minimags with no misfires,then I got a case of 325 federal and had no misfires,now I am halfway through a 525 pack of remington and did get one misfire with them so far.
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I won't shoot Remmington .22 ammo period. Too many problems. If your gun is eating these things I'd say ya got a real good gun there.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

For bulk ammo plinking, I have had great results with Federal. I've gone through 3 bulk packs in the past month and can't think of a single ftf. Fired out of a variety of pistols, 10/22 and a couple of bolt actions. My friend brought a bulk pack of Remington and we did have a couple of ftf out of it.

I think the only brand of .22 ammo that i can say for certain I've never experience a misfire is with Eley, but I'd be a little miffed if I got ftf's out of a $14.00 box of 50 for .22's. That's all the 40x eats and that's only when i can get out and shoot the IR 50/50 matches.
  10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

I say my best and favorite brand is CCI.When I had my old defective gun that would misfire 33% of all shots,and even misfire 7 out of 9 remingtons in a row,that gun would shoot 25 CCI velocitors without a FTF.I think I had 3-5 FTFs out of the 100 pack of CCI velocitors,as where I would have had 50 FTFS out of 100 remingtons.The more I think about it,my gun was really screwed up.
  11. triplebike

triplebike New Member

I purchased my 1st 22 rifle about 6 months ago, a Marlin model 60 semi auto. I tried Remington (golden bullets), Winchester (experts), & Federal. It cycled the Remington & Federal ok but with some FTF & FTE. Every Winchester jammed it. Upon trying CCI minimags LRN no, not one FTF OR FTE's. My Marlin 981T bolt (about three months old) did shoot the Winchester's, Remington's & Federal with just a few FTF & FTE. But both rifles only see CCI Minimags now & it's the only ammo I buy. They have been flawless.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  12. *LIKTOSHOOT*

*LIKTOSHOOT* New Member

When I find a revolver that misfires and has the newer safety transfer bar, the first place I look is the hammer. If you look where the hammer rest against this flat bar while not cocked, it may appear to match up. When the hammer is in full cock-look at the hammer face. I have found so many out of square, it`s rediculous. Since the firing pin has a small amount of slop along with slop in the hammer side to side, the hammer hits it differently each time. And on the low side-misfire.

Not hard to check nor fix. No need to even remove the hammer, it can be done safely in a padded woodblock vise. Or the harder way by removing the hammer completely.
  13. omalon

omalon New Member

Out of by last 1,500 rounds various brands, the only 4 ftf were remington GB"s and they all fired the second time through.