.22 Mossberg 42m (c)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 1badshot, Dec 5, 2006.

1. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

i have an old 42m (c) complete mossberg bolt action rifle. everything is together. It fires and looks great. its missing the sight on the end of the barrel. but it still has the peep sight and front sight. the stock is dark brown but is a little worn. im just looking for a rough estimate. my grandfather is wondering how much it is. He HATES how all of his old cars he had are worth 100's of thousands of dollars and wants to know how much this is.
  2. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

3. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

srry about the crappy quality of the photos... taken with my phone just showing which sights i was talkign about.
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

it looks like the the BBL has been shortened / the front sight appears to be missing???

best regards, mike.
  5. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

it hasnt been shortened. the top pic is showing i have the rear sight and the peep sight. the bottum pic if u look on the barrel u can see where im missing the front sight. my grandfather said he bought it new just as it is...
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Please stick a rod down that barrel until it touches the bolt face, and let us know what the barrel length actually measures.
  7. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

its a 23" barrel... hope this pic helps... it was made in the 1940-44 range

[​IMG]
  8. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Thats a two piece mannlicher stock ,the bbl only sticks out a little from the frt stock . are the det, swivels still with it? The frt site will cost $25.00 & up to replace. Hard to give a value without seeing a gun ,but I would say $150.00 give or take, in a worst case.In the right market $200.00 Does it have the trapdoor butt plate. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to sell it to cheap. I've seen the stocks sell for over $100.00 and Mossbergs are as a rule are dang accurate rifles.-:D - ??? Now does it have the frt site or not the last pic shows it on the gun the early pic not?--JMJ--
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

took it to gander mnt and they put the sight on and i got the 7 round clip too. ya i got the detachable swivels also. and it does have the trap door yes sir.
  10. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

Are ypu looking to sell it or just clean it up for a good shooting rifle--JMJ--
  11. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

well since i just moved my grandfather in with me. and i saw it for the first time in my life. me and him plan on taking it to a range often. just trying to get it in shape to shoot at the moment. hes interested on how much it would go for. he watches alot of Barret Jackson and hates how he used to own some of the cars that run on the auction block that were like 3k when he bought them and now reach into the 100's of thousands of dollars. and the only really old thing he has is this rifle and his old old old Civil War pistol, sword and flag(confed). he just wants to know how much its worth. we already know the civil war stuff is worth ALOT.
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

13. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

I don't use the BB prices unless i'm looking for a low price for value to buy one. I watched a 46M with the sites missing the bluing all freckled and a wasp nest in the bore (stock was rough also) go for $265.00 :eek: this past summer. I thought I was gonna get a $65.00 fixer. HUH!! not around here.Some areas of the country they are still cheap,but thats changing faster than I like. It's good for my collections value but a real bear if you want to add to your stall.:D --JMJ--
  14. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

1badshot
    i have been watching this thread with interest because i also have a 42M (c) that i did a little research on. there were three sight configurations offered on the 42M (a), (b) and (c). to be completely original a 42M (c) should have the rear sight mounted on the barrel (the peep sight on the reciever i believe is for the 42M(a) but it does not look like the typical mossberg peep sight) the last picture appears to show the correct rear sight type (does it have two different v shaped apertures). if the front sight does not have several different posts and a small peep that can be put into plase just but loosening a screw is not cottect for the 42M(c). the magazines were 5 shot, i have not been able to determine when the 7 shot mags were used but i believe in 1949 and after when the model 140 was introduced. the 42M (a.b.c) models were manufactured in the early 1940s and maybe for a short time after WWII. 23 inches is the correct barrel length.

as for a collectiblity and value for an original gun this is not in the original configuration it was in when it left the factory. but on the plus side it should absolutely be able to shoot one hole groups if you do your part. enjoy.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  15. 1badshot

1badshot New Member

alot of people have told me its not in orginal shape but my grand father said he bought it just liek it is. it has a peep sight, rear sight, and the frotn sight. the 42M(c)' i know were only made 1940-44. the rear peep sight is S130 if that helps.