.22 Original-JGA-Karabiner

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jack.54@hotmail.com, Sep 11, 2006.

1. jack.54@hotmail.com

jack.54@hotmail.com New Member

Gentleman- Received a .22 single shot rifle which belonged to my uncle. It appears to be german made. I would like to know approx. date of manufacture and value. Top of barrel marked "J.G. Anschuiz Germaniawaffenwerk A.G. Zella-Mehlis/Thur.". On top of receiver is a circle with JGA within. Left side barrel marked "cal .22 long rifle. Receiver left side is # 511249. Has sling swivels, metal buttplate, checkered grip. Barrel length is approx. 22.75", overall 41" . Any info and translation will be appreciated Thanks, Jack
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Jack....

Can't really tell you which J.G. Anschutz single shot you have.....they made quite a few single-shot target rifles......however I can (loosely) translate what your rifle says.....

J.G. Anschutz, German Firearms Co, Zella-Mehlis/Thungaria....

Zella-Mehlis is the town where it's made (near Ulm)

Thungaria is the German State

If you can post some pictures.....full left and right profile, maybe we can nail down which model you have.
  3. jack.54@hotmail.com

I really need to get a digital camera! Thanks for the Info. Jack
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It sounds a lot like the one I have which is a pre war German training rifle. It looks exactly like a Mauser 98. There is a three position safety and a lever which releases the bolt on the left side. Does this sound like yours? If so, I'll take a photo for you to look at. I won't say anything about value until we know for sure.
  5. jack.54@hotmail.com

No, there is not release of any sort. When/if you chamber a cartridge the firing bolt is reacdy to fire. You have to hold and release trigger to ease bolt back down to a safe position. I do not know if this is by design or needs repair.
  6. 911marty

911marty New Member

I also have one of these intresting rifles. I see it doesn't have a safety and it cocks on the closing stroke like an Enfield Mk series. Mine however, is missing the extractor. I contacted Anschutz who advised that shortly after WWII the plant was destroyed by the Russians. If anyone would have a source for the part I'd love to hear about it. I can be reached at ... mohicans@charter.net
  7. gideon202000

gideon202000 New Member

I have 1 the safty on mine is when u pull the bolt bact u can turn it into a little slot. do not know if yours is like this?