.22 pocket gun

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GLU, Mar 9, 2005.

1. GLU

GLU New Member

Opinions, anyone?

My High Standard is too bulky.

I like the little Walther TPH but it is pricey.

I have heard a lot about the Beretta 71 but have no experience with one.

I am seriously considering a Beretta 21a. I like its "user-friendliness" (being able to load with one hand, easy to clean and strip, etc.). Besides it's not too expensive.

Also, ammo choices for varmints, etc? I've heard about CCI SGBs. Any suggestions?
  2. Bill

Bill New Member

No reason to go for a .22 pocket pistol when one can buy a Keltec 32 auto or .380 auto that deliver much more horsepower while riding comfortably in a pocket. These guns are so lightweight and thin they are carried with ease and comfort. I'm addressing the issue only from a concealed carry standpoint for self defense.
    Take care, Bill
  3. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I have the Beretta 21A .22 and it is a great little pocket gun but Bill is correct you can get more firepower in almost the same size package. My buddy just got a Kahr PM9 and it is only a fraction larger than my Beretta. It does weigh more but as far as bulk they are almost the same. It is pricey though compared to the Beretta.
  4. z537z

z537z New Member

If you like a small 22 for varmints and whatnot, look up the Beretta 87 cheetah. It's a Beretta model 84 (9mm) frame, but .22 cal. Small, I think 8rd mag, but still useful enough to shoot targets, and plink cans at longer ranges.

If it's just for fun, 22's the way to go. If its' defense, then yes look into a .32 at least.

For other small 22s, look at Walther's P22. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, but you get the idea. Beretta makes a quality product, but something this small has little use in either defense/plinking area.

_z
  5. GLU

GLU New Member

Guys, I intend to use the .22 for plinking, mostly. Obviously, if someone turns on me, I'd use it in self defense, but that is not the primary use I intend for it. I wanted a pocket pistol size because a) It's very hot where I live for 9 months out of the year (Vegas), and b) I am an active sportsman and either boat or hike a lot (in shorts). I want to get a concealed carry permit only so that I'm not illegal when sporting. A Beretta 87 weighs 20 oz and is somewhat bulky, but I'll think about it.
  6. Neil

Neil New Member

GLU WELCOME to the TTF.:D

I've got an Iver Johnson .22lr TP 22. looks like a Walther. I don't know if you can find them but I think it's fun to shoot, mine isn't super reliable cause the Extractor spring is poo. so it doesn't grab the spent case all the time. It just needs a spring kit.

I would go with the Beretta or the walther never go with a Knock off.
  7. lead

lead Well-Known Member

The Walther P22 is very light and reliable. The 3.5 inch barrel isn't too hard to conceal. It's a gun that tends to be picky with ammo until you break it in. Stick with high velocity stuff.
    The Iver Johnson that Neil mentioned is a good choice but they haven't been made in awhile and some that you find are showing the wear and tear. Astra made a similar gun called the Constable. Same size as a PPK. Those tend to be in good shape, but priced like a new Walther P22.
  8. portagee

portagee New Member

GLU I,ve got a Beretta mdl 70s and it is the most reliable 22 i have ever owned. It has a single action trigger and is quite shootable and don't remember ever having a ftf. I also have an Erma/Excam/Iver johnson px 22 which is a mini ppk copy and it is a great little hideaway but not a plinker as it is reliable for a couple of mags of CCI Stingers and then can be somewhat unreliable. I've replaced the finger rest grips and it is easily carried but agree with others when they say pack more pistol power.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Re-read the preceding post. While they are a bit heavy, the Beretta model 70-S is a pistol good enough to be an 'issue' weapon, often 'accesorised', by the Israeli Mossad; speaks highly of the overall build quality
    Essentially the same pistol is available in .22, .32, and .380, should you desire a "battery", all on the same frame.
    I really like my 70-S, in .22, because it has enough size to hang onto,and enough accuracy, to shoot well. Didn't like the plastic grips, and made some slim, wooden ones, to replace them, without the thumb shelf the originals had, and would never think of trading it, now.
    As to pricing, I see them at gun shows in the 200-250 $US range, vs the TPH @ 400 $US. I own both; the Beretta is my personal favorite, owing to it's reasonably sized handle. Just my .02.
  10. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

Last year while "kind of" looking for a Walther PPK/S in .22 I stumbled upon a Bersa M. 644 in a pawn shop. A quick glance made me think it WAS a Walther as it is almost an exact clone. It was fairly dirty but appeared to be in very good condition and I got it for a very good price.. A complete disassemby and cleaning revealed a very tight and incredibly smooth little auto. It is all steel and after little "tweaking" (mostly on the mag which I think had been bent somehow) it shoots reliably and accuratly. I believe Bersa is still making a small .22 in DA. I recommend anyone who comes across one of these to buy it. They seem few and far between but are very well made with excellent machine work.
  11. exexpat93

exexpat93 New Member

Plinking - Pocket gun is almost a contradiction.

My choice would be the P22 Walther or the new Sig Mosquito.

Beretta 70s, 87, or 21 (that is the 22lr version model number isn't it?) are all good guns too. One might be too big and the other too large for your intentions.

I am sure there are some small snubby revolvers (or 2 -3 inch barrel lengths) in 22lr and can't think of them at the moment from SW and Taurus.
  12. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

IF you can find one Wilkinson arms SHERRY 22 AUTO is a very small semi-auto pistol also called the POCKET PARTNER. it is about the size of a Baby Browing 25acp.Woodman had one for sale. you can find him on this forum.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

The Beretta m-70S is a steel framed copy of an alloy framed pistol whose numbe I can't at the moment, recall, but, It Worked Good, too. It is exactly the same size as the Jaguar, and Puma, in .32, and .380. Good, adjustable, but small, sights.
    Reliable as the sunrise, for my experience, and a little too big for a front pocket, but the gun of choice, of the Mossad, in Israel, for 'clandestine diplomacy', which is high praise, from where I stand.
    An 'almost' pocket pistol, with great sights, and ample grip, It's toobig to be a pocket pistol, and less than a 'target pistol, for accuracy, but, if you are able to find one for $300, or less, buy it, or call me: one of us will be ticked pink!
    The Walther TPH was built, for pre '68 sales, as a blued, alloy frame, pistol.
    It is both very desirable, as a shooter, and very collectible; figure $600 US.
    The American TPH, from the plant in Alabama, was initially built only in stainless, now in blued steel, as well. Both of these pistols were built in .22LR, and .25 acp.
    The early Alabama TPH's were somewhat 'iffy', where first shot, double action, was concerned; I sent three back, before finding one that was 100% reliable, in this regard; should you buy such a pistol, before ever thinking of putting it into 'defensive' service, please assure your self that it will fire, every time, from a chamber loaded, double action, first shot!!!
    If that one chokes, there may not be further opportunity!
    On a 'larger' note, if the funds allow, the Seecamp .25, .32, and now, the.380, pocket pistols are as reliable as time; almost as expensive.
    If you have the time, look at the Kahr MK-9S, a 9mmP, or +P, all steel pistol, slightly smaller, but thicker, than the Beretta. Also the Smith 537PD, in .38 Spl, weighing only 10 Oz, five shots. Both are a far cry, in caliber, but only an ounce or an inch, from the original topic.
    I own, or have owned, all of this stuff, and, being frugal, do a lot of research, before spending money! With exception to the Early Walthers (US), as I have mentioned, all are keepers, and most, 'round here, have been kept!
    Best to ya all, Terry
  14. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I carry a .22 short. It's an Astra Cub. I also had a Phoenix Arms .22 which was nice once you got rid of the magazine safety took a file to the other safety's...(darn Californians....) Both great pocket pistols. The p.arms cost about 125 bucks where I'm from and about an hour of modifications if you know what your doing. Not great field stripping but nothing a can of Carb cleaner wouldn't fix. I had it apart once, and I know I ran about 1000 rounds through it. I would run about 200 and once it would gum up I would poke a can of that to it, put the break-free to it and hammer down :)
  15. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Yes, the Beretta 21 is probably the only gun in it's class. I say go for it.
    The Taurus copy is DAO, and probably not a good plinker.
    Bill