.22 pocket gun

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GLU, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Skoda, that is a nice looking kit. What's the damage? (Haven't Googled it yet.) Details, please?
  2. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

+1 on the Astra Cub. It was also sold as the Astra 200 and Astra 2000, and sold as a Colt also. .22 short only. That is my pocket .22. I bought mine for $95, but they are now hard to find under $300

Also NAA revolvers - Black Widow (2" barrel) or MiniMaster (4" Barrel, fixed or adj sights). You can get these with both .22LR & Magnum cylinders. Very pretty, quite accurate. I prefer the longer barrel, but the shorter one pockets better. Both of these are just big enough that you can hold and aim them securely, unlike the smaller NAAs

The 2" Alloy framed taurus are worthwhile also. It's full-size, nine-shot, and lightweight. good sights.

If you can find one, Llama made a .22 in a mini-1911 style. They are fairly sought-after.
    Buy one if you find it.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The Astra Cub is not the same as the model 200 "Firecat." The 200 was offered in .25 only, and has an internal hammer. The Cub was sold in both .25 and .22 short.
    Astra did make the early (pre 1968) Colt Juniors. They were available in .22 short or .25 acp.
  4. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

No question, A NAA Black Widow in 22 mag with the cross lock base pin.

Very accurate and the base pin don't jump out like the "ink pen" versions
  5. jrg

jrg New Member

My two favorite .22 pocket guns are an Erma RX-22, and a Walther TPH. 1st and 3rd guns, from left to right.

[​IMG]

A close up of the Walther:

[​IMG]
  6. Capmarine

Capmarine New Member

Southern Illinois...in the Shawnee National Forest
    .22LR isn't exactly a heavy hitter, but for conveinience and carry purposes, the ole Bobcat is still a option. Only problem I've found is on draw, because of the hammer catching a pocket. As far as accuracy goes, if you can shoot well, you can hit a coffee-cup saucer at 25 yrds repeatedly. I just did fired mine yesterday like that.

One tip would be to keep the magazine slightly oiled, and also oil the slide on the weapon. Berettas don't often fail to feed the next round if properly lubed. When theyre dry and fired alot at the range, you WILL experience a problem, so keep it clean and oiled. That little pocket chum will last you for years.

They don't have alot of knockdown power, I agree, but I ask you, would you feel very bold if someone was pointing one at you???? A .22LR may not be able to pick up a 275lb person and set them on their rear, but it will definitely make an attacker rethink about proceeding to do you harm.

No reason to disrespect the little ole .22LR. The morgue has seen its share of fools who had no respect for the caliber.
  7. Colt46

Colt46 New Member

Had a stainless Walther ..22 TPH that, for whatever reason, failed to feed frequently. Just saying.
  8. clamman

clamman Member

My NAA 22 mag fits nicely in the watch pocket of my jeans. Just the handle sticks out. I always wear my work shirt out so I'm carrying concealed/open at the same time!:)
  9. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

With a .22 LR. The ammo is cheap, and are very accurate (depending on the shooter). The only draw back to me is the price. For a new .22 LR we are going to pay as much and maybe more than for a .380 ACP Auto. Even the mini revolvers are pricey. Obummer and the new taxes on hanguns,ammo, and tobacco really has screwed things up and that is what the do-gooders wanted. Nuts!
  10. Jboy

Jboy New Member

If you have a TPH there is a smith named Roger Perry that works on them and sets them up to be reliable with specific ammo. If the one pictured is an Interarms manufactured product might want to send it to Perry.
  11. group17

group17 New Member

Try a Bersa/Firestorm 22 or the phoenix 22. Great inexpensive plinkers. The Phoenix also likes to eat any bulk 22 ammo you can find.

[​IMG]

Phoenix in base form with 3 in barrel and without pinky extension. Fits in the pocket best this way.

[​IMG]
  12. savage170

savage170 Member

Old Smith model 61
    [​IMG]
  13. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

North American Arms Black Widow. Get with both cylinders 22LR and 22Mag
  14. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

NAA Mini Revolver

I carry a tiny NAA Mini Revolver in 22 magnum. If I need more power in a small package, I carry my .380 caliber P238 by Sig Sauer. Great gun for women, no kick and very accurate.
  15. SARGE7402

SARGE7402 Member

Walther TPH's are great little guns and once you find the ammo they like are very reliable. That said they are tiny. If you are looking for a pistol to plink with that still fits comfortably in say a backpocket the Walther Clones from FEG are light (aluminum frame steel slide) and available in two sizes Walther PP and PPK sizes. The little ones (SMC) are available in .22 .380 and 9x18. I've got a .22 in my back pocket of my shorts as I type. Definitely likes the HV and Hyper Vel ammo though it does function pretty good with standard vel
  16. SARGE7402

SARGE7402 Member

I've had the opportunity to own the Baretta 21, a couple of TPH's, a Walther PPK/s, several FEG SMC 22's and took a Taurus clone of a M-21 off of a thug. In addition I've owned the Erma PPK / TPH clones from Erma, Excam, American Arms and Iver Johnson. All are great little pocket pistols. Shoot fairly accurately (Minute of snake head at 10 yards) once you find the right ammo and easy to conceal in a hip pocket. Haven't had a chance to shoot the Bersa or the new Walther PPK/s but I don't see why they won't be quite what you are looking for. Problem with guns like the Sherry or Auto 9 (and I've owned both) is they are at the very minimum envelop size for a 22 and are very picky on what ammo to use
  17. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I have a Erma PPK clone, double action shoots good at 15 yrds with Stingers. Just right for the pocket no need for a holster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]