.22 revolver w/ attachable stock

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by UGA Dawg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg New Member

Hello all. New member here with a question (believe it or not, it isn't "What is the best .22 pistol/rifle/ammo...?". 25 years ago my father had a .22 revolver handed down by his grandfather that was stolen when some punk broke in (also stole a sawed off 20 gauge his grandfather carried when delivering the mail by horseback in East Tenn). It was a really unique pistol and I'm hoping to figure out what it was and possibly get a replacement. The pistol had a wooden grip and what made it so unique was it had an attachable metal stock. It was a skeleton frame stock, pretty short as I recall. It may have been manufactured "after market" but I don't think so. It was a perfect fit. Long shot that anyone will know but I'm hoping y'all can help me figure it out. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I have seen several wood butt stocks for various black powder revolvers (civil war era replicas mostly) but never a skeleton metal stock on a modern revolver. Interesting. Bad thing is, is that nowadays it is illegal I believe, unless the barrel is 16in long. Theres an overall length too, I think. I'm guessing this only applies to modern firearms. I hope that someone knows more on the topic as I would like to learn.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know about "revolvers", but Stevens used to make a 22 single-shot, called the Tip Up, that came with a detachable skeleton stock. This one has a long barrel, but they came with barrels down to 4", I believe.

[​IMG]
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Any gun with buttstock and a rifled barrel less than 16" in length is a "short barrelled rifle" and illegal if not registered with the federal government. There is a $200 transfer tax, which is why no companies are currently making shoulder stock pistols.

Jim
  5. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg New Member

It was a 5 or 6" barrel, may not be legal today but I imagine when my great grandfather owned it, it was fine. The skeleton stock in the pic is close, although the one I'm trying figure out had one or two metal pieces connecting the top and the bottom of the stock (based on what I remember from 25 years ago anyway). Oh well, I knew it was a long shot, appreciate the help.
  6. red14

red14 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, Dawg.

I know what it is like to have something precious, stolen by a punk. My Dad's old foreign coins. I know they didn't get much for them, but they meant the world to me. I had a 1863 coin minted in the Vatican. It can never be replaced. I had about 40-50 countries represented..