22 rifle original bluing or not

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MarkB, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I have a 22 long rifle the only markings it has is B 788
    J Stevens and A&T co.
    Does anyone know if this looks like original bluing?

Attached Files:

2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

It real hard to tell from the pictures. Sort of looks like the reciever has a reddish tint to it. If so, then no it's not original. Or it could be just a reflection or something with the pics.

I have a Fox shotgun that was reblued, the barrels are blue but the reciever came out reddish looking. I don't know why that happened since it was that was when I got it.

One way to tell on the barrel is to look at the barrel stamp for the make and model. When they are stamped the metal is raised around the letters. When someone re-blues they sand or file the barrel to prepare it for the bluing and knock that raised metal down. Look at it with a magnifing glass at different angles. If the area around the stamped letters is flat with the barrel it has been redone.
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

It's a re-finish. The plum colored receiver is the result of trying to blue over a case-hardened frame. (The Favorite was case-colored) The dished screw holes are another sign and as I remember the wood was not finished shiny.