22 rifle scope

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by huntingbro., Dec 6, 2012.

1. huntingbro.

huntingbro. New Member

I was wondering what scopes you all use on your 22lr. I wanna get a 3-9x32. I'm thinking either the Simmons 22mag or the Centerpoint 3-9x32 at Walmart.com with a mildot reticle. I'd like to keep the cost under $75. Any comments on which is better? Maybe you have another scope in mind? I would be hunting squirrels most of the time and maybe plinking every once in a while.
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Welcome to the forum huntingbro!

I use a tasco origanally sold for a air rifle..cost $35 at wal-mart. does just fine for tree rats and squirrels.
  3. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I have a Tasco 3-7x20 that I tried out on my Win 9422M. Didn't much care for it. It's in a drawer somewhere. Put aperture rear and TruGlo front sight on instead. Much better for me.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Let me say that I catch a lot of flak because I put low cost scopes on my .22 rifles but they have served me well. I do not have either the Simmons or the CenterPoint but several people here do have them and have said good things about both. For general plinking fun I have a Tasco Air Rifle Scope on my Marlin 60 and I can bust .50 paint balls at 50 yards pretty consistently. Golf balls at 100 yards no so much but if I bear down I can do it more frequently than I miss. That is good enough for casual fun for me.

Attached Files:

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got two of the Simmons 3-9X32 22 Mag's with A.O. on my two 10-22's. They are an outstanding choice and have worked great for me for years. They hold zero perfectly with good rings installed.

I also have one of the Walmart brand 3-9X32 22 Rimfire CenterPoints that I put on my old Remington bolt action that has done excellent. I really like the illuminated mil-dot reticle. I zero for 50 yards and use a 2-dot hold-over for 100 yards and it works perfectly. I think I paid around $55 and it's been well worth it. Good clear glass.

The key is to use some good scope rings to get reliable service from these inexpensive scopes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wow Snake that Ruger / Simmons combo is a hansom piece
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Thanks, it's a great shooter even with Federal 550 Bulk Box ammo. This a photo of my group at 50 yards.

Attached Files:

9. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot about scopes, but I put a BSA Sweet .22 3-9X40 on my Marlin.
    I have heard many say that they would not wast their money on them, but for general plinking and havig fun, it is a great scope for the money.

It is easy to adjust and zero in. No screws, just turn the knobs the direction you need to go. It came with different knobs for various grain bullets, which I haven't bothered to use. If you change bullet weights, it is easier to just adjust the elevation, then to mess around changing knobs.

Attached Files:

10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Darrell, I have a Sweet 22 6-18x40 on my Ruger 10/22 Target and I like it no problems and Jim has the same scope you have on his Winchester 9422 and he has had no problems.
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have always over scoped all my 22 rifles,with the exception of one.i use mostly tasco from japan(ebay)it may take a while but they are still out there.the least i normally use is 6x18 or 6x24 always with adjustable objective.i have two reasons for doing this.first and foremost with the adjustable objective i can hone in very sharp images at any distance,i do not need a spotting scope to see my hits.the other reason is for varmits,no tree rat,possom,coon or even a fox or large dog can take a head shot.i good shot behind the ear will even take care of a wild hog.i normally stay below 100.00 and i have had zero problems.nuff said.............old semperfi
  12. huntingbro.

huntingbro. New Member

Thanks for all your input:). I'll probably get the Centerpoint 3-9x32 at Walmart cuz I like the illuminated mildot reticle.:cool:
  13. NRA_guy

NRA_guy New Member

Hmmmm. Has the Mueller APV fallen out of favor? I used to see it recommended for .22s pretty often.
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Mueller APV is an excellent choice for a .22 scope for the over $100 catagory. Last time I looked I think they were around $130. Only one of my .22 rifles cost more than that. Mueller scopes have a great reputation for being good scopes, I don't think they have lost favor with the benchrest shooters looking for one ragged hole at 100 yards.

Many folks like to use a .22 scope that falls in the $50 to $75 range especially when the majority of their .22 shooting will be done at ranges under 100 yards and the current scopes in that price range do a very good job of performing that task. :cool:
  15. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

16. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ive got two Center Point Scopes on my Marlin 60 and the Ruger 77/22lr and so far, not one single problem with either of them.
    I like the Mil-Dot IR and the furthest I've been able to shoot both was at 250yds accurately. (no wind) Ran out of mil-dots at 250yds. For up close to longer ranges, I'm sold on them and the price. ($55) And also, if you have any problem with them, send them back and they will send you a new one, great service!

I had one a few years back that I sent back and no questions asked...For a .22 and for the price..I have no complaints.
  17. PMK

PMK Former Guest

I have a Bushnell 3x-7x Custom .22 scope that I use on my Marlin M-1 .22 and my Rem. Nylon 66. It's an older scope so I'm not sure of its availability. I am sure, however, you should pick one up if ever found. Perfect size and magnification. Eye relief is limited however, and you will need to get used to it. Is marked 18mm Japan on bottom. Good hunting!
  18. BillM

BillM Active Member

Another vote for the Centerpoint scopes from WallyWorld.

Cheap, come with rings and covers, surprisingly clear optics,
    illuminated mil-dot reticles. I've got a couple of them, and
    no problems at all.
  19. huntingbro.

huntingbro. New Member

I was just thinking about the BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40AO. Would you reccommend that or should I just go with the Centerpoint with a mil dot reticle? I like the mil dot reticle :) but I also like the way you can adjust the BSA 22 Sweet:). What's your opinion?:dontknow:
  20. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

If you look around, you can find the BSA Sweet .22 for $40. Try Amazon. In my opinion you can't go wrong, you will just be out $40 bucks, if you don't like it.