22 Rifle Scopes

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by starman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. starman

starman New Member

I have a Marlin Bolt Aciton rifle I bought back in the 60's that I would like to scope. What's a good brand and size?

Thanks
  2. dugasgunner

dugasgunner New Member

Hello. Simmon's .22mag 4X, 3X9X32 with AO or not, VORTEX CROSSFIRE 2X7X32 RF, SIGHTRON'S 3X9X32 RF, WEAVER'S rimfire's and it goes on and on. Today there's a lot of choice in rimfire scopes. Find one in your price range and one that will fit the magnification that will suit your use. Don't go under 32mm objective ( of course Weaver with it's 28mm obj is ok to) and don't go higher than 40mm. It will look strange on your rifle and IMHO 50mm objective are useless except in some particular occasion's. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

What do you intend to use it for? What power do you want? IMHO - the Centerpoint 4-16x mil-dot for around $70 at WalMart is a very good value. I've also found the BSA 3-12x airgun scope to be quite nice - about the same price range. I'd be looking for an AO scope as they are very reasonable now.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have two Simmons .22 Mag 3 X 9 X 32 with A.O. scopes on my .22's that have performed flawlessly. For the money they are hard to beat. :cool:

FWIW: I got the new Natches Catalog yesterday in the mail and they have the Simmons .22 Mag 3 X 9 X 32 with A.O. scopes on sale for $39.95 in a choice of either black or silver. That is the most excellent price I've ever seen for these scope. :)
  5. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Starman, I don't think you have to invest a lot of money to get a good scope for a .22 rimfire. Those that have been suggested are all good choices. I just put a new Tasco Golden Antler 3x9 32mm "air rifle" scope on my Marlin 60. So far I am will pleased with it. Got it at Optics Planet for $45.99 with free shipping & rings included. It has eyeball focus, AO parallax setting of 15yds. to infinity, 3" eye relief and a 30/30 reticle.

Most of my shooting is 100yds. or less and I find the various parallax setting a nice accessory so far. I like the eye relief and it is clear as a bell.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Naybor

Naybor New Member

First of all, DON'T buy the little .22 riflescope. Get one with a one inch tube.

I also have a Marlin Model 60, and use a Simmons 4 x 9 scope.

The one inch tubed scope is designed for more recoil than a .22 7/8" tube gives and therefore are tougher. Scope mounts with clamp-on .22 mounting grooves and for 1" tubes are readily available. You can also get mounts where you can also use the iron sights at the same time. Best of both worlds!

You've got a good, accurate rifle ~ get a good scope too!
  8. starman

starman New Member

Thanks to all, I'll visit both my local shops and online providers and make a decission.
    My .22 is a Marlin model 81 micro groove, gold trigger. My dad purchased it for me in about 1966. Its taken a many a squirrel and still shoots and looks like new.
    I currently have a Weaver 7/8" tube 4x mag scope on it, and its okay but not of any quality to speak of. I will diffently go with the 1" tube and at least the 30mm objective so it will gather more light and be a brighter image. I agree on the 3-9 X 30mm it should do the trick. I'm very will versed in optics in general since I've been in astronomy / Telescopes for many years and understand glass quality and coatings. Of course this is only a .22 but, still I would like a crisp bright and clear view w/ nice eye relief.

Again thanks to all,
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  9. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I know a lot of folks that ended up cursing Tasco...including me.

I use Center Point scopes from Wally World...same price point, last longer.

The 4-16x40's live on my .22 Magnums
    The 3-9x30's live on my Marlin 60/795/99G/989-M2 & a few others :D

If you don't mind spending real cash on a .22, get a Trijicon or Nikon.
  10. starman

starman New Member

I've found both the Simmons 511072 w/ AO and the 511039 w/o AO
    Is the objective adjustment worth the extra $20.
    Can't you adjust the focus to your eye from the rear ocular end, what's the advantage of adjusting the Objective end also ?
    Any opions on the Barska Ridgline 1-7x32mm I found them on sale for $44.69 down from $178.00. lots of nice features, however I've read some negative reports on this companies glass, so maybe there's a good reason for it being on sale.

Thanks
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  11. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Another vote for the Centerpoint. I have one that I first put on my CZ 452 special, I have since gone to a larger scope for target shooting. I'm going to put the centerpoint on my air rifle when I get it fixed!:eek: Shot it with too light a pellet and broke the spring! going to get it sent in in the next couple of days!:D Doug
  12. da357mag

da357mag New Member

The main advantage to a AO scope is that most single mag scopes are parellaxed at 100 to 150 yards. With the AO you can focus the objective to the yardage you are shooting. The ocular focus is just to focus the rectical to your eye. After you have it focus you leave it alone! So for target shooting and a higher mag scope, the AO is a needed item! Now in a hunting situation you are using lower mags, the AO can be used but it can be off a little without losing accuracy at closer ranges. That's how it works!:D Doug
  13. group17

group17 New Member

Nice thing about center point is if you bought it from WallyWorld try it out and don't like it you can return it for full refund. So far so good on mine.
  14. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I've always liked my Bushnell Banner 4-12 for my 10-22. I think it was around $70 or $80, but the Centerpoints sound interesting. No shortage of scopes on the market today, thats for sure.
  15. starman

starman New Member

I settled on the Bushnell Banner 4-12 X 40mm A.O.
    & w/ Millet Angle lock steel rings.
    Hopefully it will do the trick.

thanks to all,
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  16. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

I just went a different direction on one of my older rifles...

I've got a 1963 Sears 46C (Marlin 57) Levermatic...
    and I found a Sears 4x Ted Williams scope for $10 at a local pawn shop.

[​IMG]

Ten bucks?? You know I couldn't resist!!
    Gave it the TINK test, it passed, so I bought it and slapped it on :)
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Also with Center Point scopes, they themselves will take care of any issues you may have. I had a 3-9x32 that I'd bought at wal-m and had it over a year and was having some issue with it (that to this day I dont understand), anywho..called CenterPoint and sent it back to them and in about a week of sending it back I had a new one. It's back on my .22 and so far, doing great! Another +1 for CenterPoint's! Low price, mil-dot recticle and illuminated recticle, also the battery life on the newly replaced one...it was in my safe on for almost 4 days. Still as bright as it was before leaving it on...:confused:
  18. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

What is the tink test?
  19. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Since centerpoint scopes are being tossed about I have one of the 4-16x40AO scopes that started life on my CZ452, I have since gone to a Barska 8-32x50AO since I use this rifle for paper punching only. I also have a Gammo Varmint hunter that I am having repaired after shooting some of their "PBA" ammo. The result was a broken mainspring! because the ammo was too light. So when I get the rifle back the centerpoint will go on the Gammo, and the crows are in trouble!:D Doug
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  20. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Locked it on to a bench vise and gently whacked it a few times in various directions with a rubber hammer.
    POA (Point Of Aim) didn't change, so it passed.

If you hear a TINK or cracking sound...it failed...LOL
    If it doesn't hold POA, it fails.

For some reason TASCO scopes fail this test a LOT...
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010