1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

22 rimfie case failure??

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by remington1990, Oct 21, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

i bought a old remington rolling block no 4 and it is starting to have case failures i am going to take it a gunsmith and see what he says

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great thinking! Has this been with one brand/lot of ammo or different brands?
  3. remington1990

remington1990 Member

Some old 22 short I had and a shot some 22lr in and did the same thing and I short one with my stevens it did just fine I kind think it could be headspacing problem
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like the chamber might have been relieved of its 'dry firing burr' a little too far..
  5. remington1990

remington1990 Member

when I first got it did fine and now its doing it. I did take it apart and clean it it was so dirty that it was accurate and I wanted to clean it good so I took it apart andclean it really good I am just thinking that cause it and after that it started doing it thanks
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. gyrene63

gyrene63 New Member

Check the chamber for a deep notch where the firing pin hits. Possibly the 'peening' had been repaired improperly.
    Also check the firing pin for a broken tip.
    If it was firing ok at first, the improper repair could have fallen out or the firing pin could have broken leaving a spear point instead of the normal round or flat tip.
    Investigate everything you possibly can before going to a gunsmith...this will give you the ability to talk knowledge with him to resolve the problem.
    'Peening' of the chamber by dry-fire is a very common problem with old rimfires, if a previous owner attempted to use a filler to repair the peen the filler could easily fall out after a few shots; also the firing pin could have been slightly lengthened in an attempt to over-come the peen.
    The pictures you display seem to look like a firing pin issue.