22 rimfie case failure??

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by remington1990, Oct 21, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

i bought a old remington rolling block no 4 and it is starting to have case failures i am going to take it a gunsmith and see what he says

Attached Files:

2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great thinking! Has this been with one brand/lot of ammo or different brands?
  3. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

Some old 22 short I had and a shot some 22lr in and did the same thing and I short one with my stevens it did just fine I kind think it could be headspacing problem
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Looks like the chamber might have been relieved of its 'dry firing burr' a little too far..
  5. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

when I first got it did fine and now its doing it. I did take it apart and clean it it was so dirty that it was accurate and I wanted to clean it good so I took it apart andclean it really good I am just thinking that cause it and after that it started doing it thanks
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. gyrene63

gyrene63 New Member

Check the chamber for a deep notch where the firing pin hits. Possibly the 'peening' had been repaired improperly.
    Also check the firing pin for a broken tip.
    If it was firing ok at first, the improper repair could have fallen out or the firing pin could have broken leaving a spear point instead of the normal round or flat tip.
    Investigate everything you possibly can before going to a gunsmith...this will give you the ability to talk knowledge with him to resolve the problem.
    'Peening' of the chamber by dry-fire is a very common problem with old rimfires, if a previous owner attempted to use a filler to repair the peen the filler could easily fall out after a few shots; also the firing pin could have been slightly lengthened in an attempt to over-come the peen.
    The pictures you display seem to look like a firing pin issue.