.22 rimfire failure to fires??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by hunter29180, Nov 17, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

I have been reading a lot of people saying the .22 rimfire has a tendancy to NOT fire in a pistol..nit sure if they are saying in revolvers or semi-autos.

now I shoot upwards of 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo a yr. both in rifles and revolvers..the last time i has a failure to fire was about 10 yrs ago....

so question is this...How many of the members have a personal Fail to Fire on a .22 short,lr or Magnum? in say the last 5 years?? what weapon was it in? and was the weapon in good operating condition? dont count questionable condition firearms or the "the residue is the ONLY thing holding it together" ones from your bud next door...:D
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark. Can't rememeber the last time I had a FTF.
  3. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I had a couple, but they are out of 500 count box bulk ammo. Very rare though.

Cci mini-mag, never had a failure!
  4. vytoland

vytoland New Member

the ftf in .22 probably come from cheap guns and cheap ammo
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

A lot depends on the gun. A bolt gun will probably never have a failure to fire on reasonable ammo. The same is probably true with a lever or a pump gun. These guns have surefire ways of getting the cartridge into the chamber fully. Semi autos, on the other hand, only have the recoil spring and some inertia to get the cartridge fully seated in the chamber. They have disconnectors that will not let the gun fire if the bolt is not nearly fully closed. But those system have tolerances and it is possible in some that the bolt does get far enough to override the disconnector but the rim is not full seated in the chamber. The firing pin may only seat the case into the chamber and not have enough energy left to crush the rim. The cartridge may not seat because in the process of loading into the chamber the lead bullet hit the edge of the chamber and was distorted, not allowing it to easily seat into the chamber.

Then there is crummy ammo. Priming compound is suppose to be in the rim of the 22LR case. It gets there when in semi-liquid form it is put into the case and the case spun up so centrifugal force pushes it out and into the rim area. Cheap ammo sometimes fails to get the priming compound where it belongs completely around the rim. There could be spots on the rim that get missed. Repositioning the cartridge in the chamber, fully seating it by hand, and retrying often result in the errant cartridge firing but sometime there flat is no priming compound in the rim at all and not even a bolt gun will fire the errant cartridge.

Bulk ammo is the worst for this (loose cartridges in a box of 500 or so). Some is acceptable and others not so much especially in semi-auto guns. I will no longer shoot CCI Blazer but have had good luck with Federal Champion #745. Even then I get a couple per box (525 rounds) that will not fire in a semi-auto gun or once in a while not fire in any gun.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I get 1 - 2 rounds of duds in a 5000rd case of the Blazer CCI ammo. I don't think I can recall any when shooting better grade ammo. Even the winchester bulk packs have not provided me with any problems.

Mainly out of a Buckmark hunter, SW MP15-22, and a SW 22A. I probably shoot 80% of my 22 out of one of these.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011