.22 Ruger Mark III Concern

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by dlee58, Dec 1, 2008.

1. dlee58

dlee58 New Member

Have not shot one, admired only. Have been really looking forward to owning one, probably a target model. Have heard very good things about how they shoot. Have also heard horror stories on how hard they are to get back together after a cleaning. I believe in good cleanings after each use, tearing down M-16's and 9mm's in the military sold me on that. Am I being over concerned with the cleaning or is it mostly smething that is hard but a person like me can learn it.

Thanks
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

Once you understand what you need to do, it's a piece of cake. There is a thread in this forum that has a description on reassembly. It takes maybe 30 seconds. It's all in how you hold the gun (this is key).
    When you buy your gun ask the sales person how its done. If they don't know find one that does.
    They are great guns.
    I'll post a link to the thread that I was talking about. :)

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48183

In post #9 and 14 you will find some info that will help.

Welcome to the forum by the way. You'll like it here we have a great group. ;) :)

Art
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you follow the direction in the manual to the letter they are easy to take apart and put back together. Getting the gun back together and working correctly is the problem but the manual tells you how. You have to use a rubber mallet to knock the barrel off and back on the gun's frame but it does no harm. The problem is the hammer strut wants to not fall into the correct place and the gun goes together but will not function (can't even pull the slide to the rear).

Someone makes a device that allows the bolt to be removed without taking the barrel off the frame. That allow good access to the the gun's internals for thorough cleanings without the hassles of re-assembly.

I have had my Ruger and an earlier one for over 15 years and I still have to get the instruction out every time I clean it (about once or twice a year as I have many pistols and the gun only get shot that often). Even then I sometimes have trouble. I am about to buy the device that makes it easy.

In general I like the S&W 22A/S series guns and the Buckmark series guns as they are very easy to get apart and back together. The easiest of all has to be my High Standard Victor, Trophy, and Field King. You just push a button and the barrel is in your hand and the bolt slip off the frame with no hassels. But you could have two Rugers for the price of one of these vintage Hi Std guns.

LDBennett
  4. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I have a MKII which is the same taking apart as a MKIII. Pawn sent me a link to YouTube, on how to take apart and put back together. After viewing the link I took notes. I clean it everytime I go shooting, and cuss at it everytime I go to put it back together. It cracks me up cause it causes me greif everytime I think I have it. Just to pull my notes to find out I missed a step. Its a great gun, one day I will be able to put it back together without my oil soaked notes, but that day hasn't come yet. Having known all this I still would have bought the exact same gun, thats how much I like it.
  5. artabr

artabr New Member

The bolt comes out before the barrel is removed from the frame anyway. You do not have to remove the barrel from the frame to clean the gun.

Art
  6. pawn

pawn New Member

Love my MKII and MKIII, however, it does take some practice to reassemble without a hiccup :) My MKIII is a bit more challenging in that the upper and lower fit together very tightly; must be separated and joined with that aid of a rubber mallet. The holes between receiver and grip frame must match up exactly on this pistol... still takes a bit of trial and error sometimes.

MKII disassembles/assembles much easier :D

After shooting one you'll see why the bit of hassel in learning is well worth the effort. ;)

-pawn:)
  7. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Wish you were right, but Nooooo. At least not mine, got nailed on receiver and barrel position.
    :D
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

All this makes me think it would be better to buy a Walther P22 instead?

mike
    gn
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If your interest in the pistol is only in taking it apart and putting it back together, then I'd say you are right, Mike. :p :D:D:D

The pistol is not as straight forward to take apart and reassemble as is the 1911, but then, it wasn't designed for military use. It takes some reading of the instructions and a little understanding of how that mechanism works. Millions have been sold and they aren't often found on the used market. that tells me something.

It is a GREAT shooter. and that is what I want a pistol to be.

Pops
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Incidently,I just checked amazon and they have the book on the Standard, Mark I and Mark II on sale for $10.88 plus shipping. This does not cover the Mark III or the 22/45.

Pops
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

12. pawn

pawn New Member

13. artabr

artabr New Member

Great video Pawn.
    Once you learn the "tricks", it is harder to discribe than it is to do. ;) :)

Art.
  14. SARG

SARG Member

For cleaning I started using brake cleaning spray. Less than $2. per can and it works well. Just avoid using on autos with the cheap plastic parts i.e. grendel and some others I've long since gotten rid of.
  15. pawn

pawn New Member

thanks Art, stumbled upon this earlier today and thought I would share with others :D
  16. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

Well, I just finished field stripping mine and it took me quite a while to get it back together. I was frustrated but I fianlly figured it out, well, I put it back togehter several times and finally got it back together where the slide would pull all the way back.

As far as shooting, great little gun. Perfect for everybody to learn on. My 9 yr old shoots it regularly as does the 11 yr old.
  17. jlbpa

jlbpa New Member

What's happening to this country? What's so difficult about assembling a ruger mark pistol? It's a simple technique.....not some magical mystical voodoo.

Don't miss out on one of the most practical .22 cal semiauto pistol ever produced.
  18. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

+1 on the above post. One of the biggest problems is doing exactly what the manual says, many try to cheat or read more into it than is needed or not.
    The other is once done, many wait until it is so dirty it won`t shoot or guilt takes over........then months later without reading the manual; it is tried again with frustration.......then reading more into the directions than is needed........under stress. I know, I have been there.

It really is a very simple design and it has stood the test of time. Almost like pulling the trigger pack from a MI Garand/M14.

Sometimes simple seems hard
  19. pawn

pawn New Member

It isn't hard once you've done it a few times but there is a learning curve and folks have varying levels of mechanical inclination... For some, video instruction provides the simple clarity even the best written directions cannot.
  20. greener

greener New Member

The first time I field stripped a Ruger, I had visions of a box of Ruger parts looking for a gunsmith and the language was so bad the dog left the room.:D I did 3 more reps actually following the manual and it wasn't so bad. Then I found this link, which much more clearly explains the process http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

I've never let perceived concerns over difficulty of field stripping influence my firearms purchases. I figure that they were meant to be field stripped and the manufacturers wouldn't make that process totally impossible.

My 22A is the simplest to field strip and it is an excellent shooting pistol. Now that I've delved the mysteries of the Ruger, I'd rate it second. My P22 is relatively easy but I end up having to delve through my parts box for the plastic guide or improvise. The one I like least is the Buck Mark. Not hard, but having to find an allen wrench and having keep track of washers and screws puts it down on my list of ease.