22 shorts in a 22 long revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 45flint, Aug 14, 2009.

1. 45flint

45flint New Member

I just purchased a H&R Sportsman 999 revolver manufactured in 1981 and marked 22LR. Can I fire 22 shorts in this gun without issues?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

The only issue that you will likely find with shorts is that the chambers will accumulate fouling (condensed lead vapor and powder residue) that will make it difficult to chamber and extract LR length ammo. Through and regular cleaning with a bronze .22 chamber brush and an aggressive solvent should minimize this problem. The longer acceleration of the bullet at the throat of the barrel (aka forcing cone) could cause leading problems as well as a barrel crack; but I opine that a crack is a rather remote possibility. Bronze brushes will remove lead. Also, these revolvers may have cylinders of relatively soft steel. Shooting a lot of shorts may erode the steel just forward of the short case burning a "fire ring" which can make extraction an issue for LR length cases.

Maybe some or all of the above possible issues are why H&R marked the revolver 22LR and not 22 S,L,&LR. I really do not see the advantage of shooting a lot of shorts. They are often more expensive than LR and are not likely to be as accurate in this revolver.

Hope this is helpful
  3. 45flint

45flint New Member

My thought was there would be little sound like in a old shooting gallery but in a revolver the sound would pobably be much more than a rifle. Sometimes you are in a situation where you don't want a loud bang. I have often though of a suppressor but I heard that to red tape to get one is thick.
    Steve
  4. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Shoot 'em if you have them. I have an old Hi Standard revolver that I bought new around 1957, have shot shorts, longs, long rifle through it and it still works just fine. It has probably had half a million rounds through it. Unless you really need to stay quiet, shoot long rifles.
    oldogy
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Hammerslagger is correct-in theory.
    In reality you won't have any problems other than the cleaning chores.
  6. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

Shoot them all the time. Especially CB's....very quiet.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you cant silence a revolver anyways, unless you devised a revolver that moved the chambers forward and sealed against the end of the barrel forcing cone. there was a revolver made like this although i cant remember what it was. if you want quiet. use a knife, for critters go with cb's
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I believe that was the Nagant revolver your referring to.