22 shorts

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45flint, Sep 11, 2009.

1. 45flint

45flint New Member

Put some shorts in my 22 H&R 999 revolver and they were a pleasure to shoot. It was the only 22 ammo that our local Walmart had. They were very low noise like a cap gun and they grouped very well, didn't need to wear hearing protection. Why don't more people use them for target shooting?
    Steve
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Mainly 'cause they cost so much.

Back in the long-ago times, shorts were cheaper than longs, and longs were cheaper than long rifles. But now most people use long rifles, so they make waaaaay more long rifles, and sell them cheaper. Last time I bought any 22s, long rifles were around a dollar a box, while shorts were about two fifty. Since long rifles are running around three dollars now, it would not surprise me to learn that you paid over six for your box of shorts. That is, assuming your shorts were a box of 50. If a box of 100, then somewhere between 11 and 15 dollars.
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

Tip#1, never buy .22 shorts where Alpo does...lol
  4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

with .22 lr costing less than shorts,and shorts causing a buildup of residue shorter than a lr case causing inserting problems with lrs,I stick with lrs.I find shooting to be similar with shorts and lrs,so when I want less sound I go will go with cci cb longs,or aguila cb lr.If I really liked shorts,and them not being too terribly expensive,and if all I was going to shoot were shorts,I would use them.One advantage in my double action revolver is that shorts eject alot faster and easier than long rifles.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

You could be right. I just checked a couple of places online. One had Mini Mags for 8 dollars a hundred, while their CCI shorts were only 9 dollars a hundred. 'Course, they didn't have any. If they actually had some, they might cost more.
  6. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

45flint, I hear you.

Thirty-two years ago this month I picked up a H&R 999 from a gunshop in NYS. It was my first cartridge handgun and it set me back $108 - almost a week's pay in those days.

The shop owner included a box of Remington .22 shorts. They worked great in my 999. I shot .22 shorts exclusively in that gun. I remember that earmuffs (new in those days) were not needed for outdoor shooting.

IIRC shorts were about 10 cents a box cheaper than LR ammo in 1977.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i love shooting shorts. i have about a brick of them. i dont shoot many though because they are expensive to replace. love to shoot them in a pump or lever gun.
  8. jondar

jondar New Member

Whenever someone mentions .22 Shorts I think of a guy named Danny that worked in the same office I did. One weekend he and his wife went fishing on the Kansas (Kaw) River. This river at that time was a third to half a mile across bank to bank. He told me he thought a wasp had stung him but didn't see one. He was wearing a white shirt and jeans and his wife noticed the right side of his shirt was blood soaked and it had run down inside his jeans. They got him to the hospital and found that a .22 Short bullet had entered him at the bottom front of the rib cage, followed the rib around and found it underneath the skin of his back. That's pretty good penetration for a .22 at that distance. Never did find the shooter.
  9. 45flint

45flint New Member

For target shooting I use low velocity LR. The shorts were actually cheaper than those.
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i want an NAA mini in 22 short, dont ask why i just think it'd be cool.