.22 SIG MOSQUITO

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by arcmartin, Aug 29, 2010.

1. arcmartin

arcmartin New Member

anybody have one? and what about a Vididian green laser sight?

thanks
  2. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Great 22 pistol. The Mosquito is one of my daughters favorite pistols. If they made it with purple hi lights she would have to have one. I don't run lasers on any of my 22's so I don't have any input on the laser
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have the sig mosquito sport,its junk as far as im concerned.i have it for sale at my dealers shop.the misfires and ammo sensative problems suck.i went back to my colt match targets and my markll rugers. old semperfi
  4. Gotguns

Gotguns New Member

It is a scaled down P226 with a polymer frame and no where near the quality of a 226. Its fun to shoot but its very particular with what ammo you use, CCI Mini Mags were what the pistol was designed to shoot. I found that Remington thunderbolts worked well as did CCI Stingers. I would not try to shoot anything that wasn't round nosed. The cheap Federal ammo is a Jam fest, I couldn't get 3 rounds off without some kind of problem. Definitely have to use higher velocity ammo. It is also not very accurate, I can only muster 4" groups at 5 meters. The P226 will shoot 1 ragged hole at 25. The Barrel is aluminum with a steel core. The trigger is not all that great either. The frame is weak plastic, not like a Glock, it can easily be bent with mere hand pressure. Its pretty easy to clean, but fouls easily.

One of it's few redeeming qualites is the amount of new swear words you can come up with trying to hit a 6" plate at 25 meters.

Its a Piece o' crap, If I were Sig I would truly be embarrassed to have such fine weapons as the P250 and the P226 share the same heritage with it.

FWIW I kept mine, It works fine as a defensive weapon when loaded with stingers, I have the Buckmark if I want to hunt some critters or shoot holes in a target.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I had a Mosquito for a few years. I traded it last winter; just wanted something new.

First, they are ammo sensitive. Mine did well with Remington Golden Bullets and CCI MiniMags. Every Mosquito ever made does well with MiniMags. The manual even says to use them. If you're not willing to pay 7¢ per shot, then you may be better off buying a cheaper pistol.
    I've read that the ammo sensitivity can be taken care of in about an hour with some polishing, but I didn't bother.

Mine did not have the accuracy issue that GotGuns described. It was my first handgun, so I really learned to shoot handguns with this one. I'm still not a marksman, but mine was capable of much better than 4" at 25 yards. The biggest upside to this pistol is that it feels and functions just like most larger-caliber pistols (unlike the Rugers, Buckmarks, etc.).

The double-action trigger is HEAVY, but only about 4 lbs. in single-action, which is perfectly acceptable to me. This also could probably be made better with some polishing, but I again didn't bother.

It's not the highest quality SIG product on the market, but it's not a "piece o' crap." It's worth noting that it retails for LESS THAN HALF of other SIG products ($390 MSRP vs. $976 for the P226), so it shouldn't be expected to be identical. Nobody expects an Impala to drive the same as a Corvette.

I would have no reservations about buying one again.
  6. wingspar

wingspar Member

Actually, people usually don’t talk about their Mosquitos unless they have had problems with them, so that’s what you see most in forums. Mosquito haters. They are probably an extremely small portion of Mosquito owners. Mine was trouble free and fun to shoot till somewhere between 600 and 700 rounds when it went off out of battery. The gun was about 5 months old. Sig replaced with a brand new gun. The new one would splatter my hand with residue. Did not feel good. Every time it happened, it felt like the out of battery experience. I sent the gun back to Sig. They “Reamed the Barrel” and sent it back. I still get hit with splatter on my hand, but it is becoming less with more rounds put thru it. My other half shot about 80 rounds thru it the other day without incident. I put about 80 rounds thru it and got splatter on my hand at least 3 times, so it does seem like it is improving, but if it keeps up, it’s going back to Sig again.

I’m not going to bash the Mosquito, or qualify it with any four letter words. It’s a fun gun to shoot, and the price is good. If you follow the manufactures recommendations on shooting Mini-mags for at least the first 500 rounds, chances are you will end up with a fun gun. I looked at a P226 a couple of months ago, and was amazed at how much it looked and felt like the Mosquito. Just a little bigger and heavier, and felt better in my hand. The Mosquito was designed as a trainer for the P226.

As for laser sights? The Mosquito is equipped with rails, so attaching a laser is doable, and if you already have one on another gun, just move it over to the Mosquito when you want to use it on the Skeeter.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

8. eric_daniel

eric_daniel New Member

Are we talking about the gun or the bug???:D
  9. iflyfish

iflyfish New Member

I like mine. It only wanted CCI for the first 500 or so rounds. I use Federal Automatch from Wally's now with no problems. It comes close to the size of my Glock 19 so I can use it to pratice drawing and firing.