.22 subsonic HP's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by john riley, Dec 10, 2006.

1. john riley

john riley New Member

was considering picking up sum remington subsonic hp's I was wondering other than being quieter than standard High velocities, what they were good for...What kind of game and at what ranges?? rabbits possibly at 30-50 yards, or not enough zip any feed back on the effectiveness of these would be greatly appreciated thanks.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

As far as what are the good for they are usually far more accurate than regular rounds and high velocity's. I use them out to about 100 yards for target shooting. They are a lot cheaper than Wolf Match.
    For real close ranges in a Bolt Action, Single shot, Revolvers, and Lever Actions I use CCI CB LONGS they are as quite as a supressed .22 and work fine for varmin
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I've fired thousands of the Remington .22 subsonic rounds. They aren't much quieter than the regular hi-vel ammo. Don't expect them to be silent. I've found they work in most semi-auto rifles. They should be fine for rabbits and squirrels.

SS is right about the CB longs. Very quiet, but not enough energy for rabbits. They work great for paper targets and cans.
  4. southernshooter

I have used the CB's for rabbits possums and racoons it all come down to shot placement
  5. sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe New Member

i use rem subsonics and i like them not to much noise a little bit louder than a airgun accuracy is very good out of my 10/22 have a nice sloppyjoe:)
  6. Tom

Tom Member

I have used the Remington subsonic hollow points, but my CZ-452 preferrs RWS subsonic hollow points. Sighted for 50 yds, the drop to 100 is greater due to the reduced velocity, but they are quiet. In my 452 with a 25" barrel, when I shoot them in the basement, the impact in the bullet trap makes more noise than the discharge of the rifle. I can shoot them without ear plugs or muffs.
  7. SouthCentral

SouthCentral New Member

On the advice of my Walther P22 dealer I started using Aguila 40gr SE (super extra) solid lead sub-sonic. I began with an unfired new P22, suppressed, with CCI sub-sonic. About 80% keyholed at 25ft. The Aquila rounds keyhole rarely. Unsuppressed I use, again on advice from my dealer, CCI Mini-Mag Copper Plated Hollow Point High Velocity 36gr (1250 fps)

[​IMG]
  8. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

theyll take small game to 100 easy, but once you zero it at 100, back up to 50 , to see how big the trajectory is.
  9. southernshooter

Welcome Southcentral From a fellow supressor member
  10. SouthCentral

SouthCentral New Member

Thank you southernshooter. Would have replied sooner but my main computer broke it's legs and I had to shoot it. You'd be amazed at what a 45ACP will do to a bad Dell!! :D But I'm up and running again. See you around the forum.
  11. TreeRatKiller

TreeRatKiller New Member

subsonics are great for suppressed rifles ,I use them in both my Browning semi's which have suppressors.I did find the cci sub's to cycle best [after shortening the recoil spring].I have taken rabbits and other vermin out to 80-100 yards,my best being 196 rabbits in one nights lamping all with winchester sub sonics and an old cz bolt action.
  12. Mike_MTM_Rolla

Mike_MTM_Rolla New Member

If you have a rifle that is capable of really accurate grouping then subsonic will give you an advantage at longer ranges..when a .22 goes from sonic to subsonic it becomes a little bit less stable and this can occur at just the wrong range if you have an accurate rifle shooting at little things far away...
  13. oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

They are good for CIA "funny guns" with silencers. All you can hear is the action cycling and a High Standard's action isn't loud!
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Remington makes the only subsonic that will cycle my 10/22. Stay away from Colibre. They will not cycle a semi-auto.
    I have killed rabbits and squirrels as far as 75 yards with the Remington Subsonics. They went clean through, so I'm sure a 100 yard shot is well within reason.
  15. res45

res45 Member

I use the Aquila Sub Sonic 38 Gr. HP in my Savage Mark II with sporter barrel its nice and quiet and shoot the best groups that I have tested in my rifle usually get 10 shots covered with a dime at 50 Yds.