The Firearms Forum banner

.22 Suppressor

7K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I did a NFA Trust last week and just had it and my Form 4 for a .22 suppressor electronically transmitted to ATF on Friday, 13 Dec. Lets see how long it takes to get approved and back to me! I was told that it takes about 9 months - so I should have it approved and the suppressor in my hands in August 2014. WOW that's forever!!

Now if I can just find some .22 ammo to shoot through it . . . . . . . .

#2 ·
How quite do you think it will be?

#5 ·
How quite do you think it will be?
I don't know how quiet it will be, but the last time I was at the range, there was a guy shooting a suppressed .308 and all I could really hear was a ppfffftttt sound. It kind of caught my attention so I walked down to where he was and asked about it.

I went over to the NFA dealer's house yesterday to give him the $200 tax fee that he transmitted and we were talking about it. He has several that he shoots (AK47, .22, .223, .45, and 9mm). He was explaining to me that if you shoot subsonic ammo, it is like Sam said, you hear only the bolt. If you shoot standard ammo through a rifle, the bolt closing is all you hear until the bullet reaches the sound barrier and you will hear the crack. He said that if you shoot standard ammo through a pistol, you will not hear the crack because it basically remains subsonic.

I will find out for sure in August or September, if the ATF approves my purchase.

#6 · (Edited)
The Whisper "The Quiet Gun" is one of the most innovative Gamo high powered air rifles designed for quieter shooting with special ND 52 Technology. The technically advanced ND 52 technology is an integral non-removable noise dampener that reduces the noise up to 52% from standard spring air rifles! http://www.gamowhisper.com/

This is part of the add form Gamo for the Whisper. My brother has one, and I can tell you right now that my bolt .22, with shorts, is about half as loud as his air rifle. I suppose that if I surppressed it for squirrel hunting it would be quite enough that I might could kill several squirrels before alarming them. Some how spending another $500 to get a better squirrel rifle, just doesn't sit well with me! Kinda like spending $30,000 for a boat to go catch $20 worth of fish!

#11 ·
#13 · (Edited)
I finally broke down and purchased an Osprey suppressor by Silencerco. I mounted it on an HK 45 auto. What I liked about the Osprey is that it is of an unconventional design meaning that the bullet path is eccentric and not concentric to the body of the suppressor. For those who are familar it is built a lot like the old Maxim silencers of the 1920's and 30's. This type of design allows the silencer to be built larger without compromising the front sight in any way. A larger silencer like a larger muffler makes for better silencing. Also it does not have washers, rather it has chambers that swirl the gas back on to itself, again much like a Maxim, which in my view is far better than the common washer designed ones. I had to wait about seven months to get it and being the colorful character I am I was somewhat surprised they okayed me to have one even though I have a CWP.

I mounted a Burris Fastfire II redot sight on the gun and wherever the dot shines the bullet goes. The scope automatically adjust the dot to the ambient light so you can go from out in the sun light to the darkest shadows or vise versa and still have a dot. It is a blast to shoot especially on hanging metal targets. The most noise comes from the bullet hitting the target and in the background you can hear the gun cycle. It is extremely accurate but bullet impact varies with a change in ammo.

I have included a few pictures.

Ron

Attachments

#15 ·
moody those baffles should work fine because they are a lot better than just separated washers. Yours will have chambers that swirl the gas as well and as long as you use subsonic ammo it should be very quite. Even super sonic worked well in an old Maxim a friend had years ago and yours should too. As for center of hole design the 22 does not produce the gases that the larger calibers due to the fact it doesn't have the fuel so here again I think you have the hot set up, or in this case the quite set up.

Ron

#19 ·
You're going to like it, George. I have that same model with aluminum baffles, and it's a treat. Mounted to a Walther P22, the sights are still perfectly functional.

I still need to pull the barrel off my 10/22 and send it to Helix for threading... I'll get around to that someday.

#21 ·
gdmoody_ you still can't find .22 ammo? We've got plenty down here in TX now that everyone has hoarded a bunch and no one is willing to pay 2-5 times the retail Wal-Mart price that the other guy paid for it.

The only problem with sending you some is that UPS is the only one here willing to ship ammo for an outrageous amount.

#27 ·
I only put about 30-40 rounds through my new Guardian 22 suppressor yesterday. Very quiet until I shot a high velocity round through the 10/22 but it was quieter than usual!! The standard/high velocity are still very quiet in the Ruger 22/45 but then it only has a 4 inch barrel on it.

When I picked it up, I was talking with the dealer about "stuff". He told me that the only sound I would hear would be the bolt and he was pretty close to right. I ask him what bolt action would be good and he told me to get a Savage Mark II FV-SR which was supposedly designed to be used with a suppressor. I went by my LGS this morning and ordered one, $255 with tax.

I am surprised at exactly how dirty the can got with less than 50 rounds through it. I can't even imagine not cleaning it for the 1000 rounds that they recommend on their website!!

I am going to wait for the savage to get here before I take it to the range. Hopefully I can give a good report after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.