.22 Winchester Automatic Ammo

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by dcriner, Apr 21, 2011.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

I have a .22 rimfire Model 03 Winchester automatic rifle. It takes special ammo - at first glance, it looks like .22 LR, but the casing has small groove around the middle of the shell. Regular .22 ammo won't work. With the correct ammo, my 03 works fine and is great fun to shoot.

.22 Winchester automatic ammo hadn't been manufactured for years - I could only pick up a leftover box or two at gun shows (for a premium price). Now, however, it is being made in Mexico and sold by the Old Western Scrounger. Model 03s have gone for low prices, probably because of the ammo problem. Now might be a good time to pick one up.
  2. Sarge756

Sarge756 New Member

Just wondered where you got the information about Old Western Scrounger ?Check of their website does not show a listing for 22 Winchester Automatic . It is true that a few years back there was a run of the Mexico made ammo that OWS sold.I bought a brick for $75 and from what I see on the auction sites I am very happy I got it. Last auction on Auction arms was a buyitnow of one (1) box of 50 of the OWS for $49.95.Whew! a buck a round for a 22 is a bit steep. I figure with the 9 boxes I have left it will either be a lifetime supply or I can add it to the retirement portfolio.
  3. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

You might try giving them a call, things do not always get on a web site right away. He may have had just a small run, or he may have alot.

If I had an 03, I'd sure check and buy as much as I could afford if they have it in stock.

John K
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. dcriner

dcriner Member

I was wrong - the Scrounger no longer has any left. They told me that it may be some years before their Mexican source decides to manufacture another run.

I think that the main difference between Win Auto and .22 LR is that the Win Auto's rim diameter is larger. The 03 extractors can't grip the spent .22 LR casings. I'm wondering if it would be possible to fashion a ring of some sort that would enlarge the LR's rim slightly? Could be plastic? Or maybe a discected .22 Win Auto casing?
    Doug
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

.22LR
    Case neck diameter .226
    Case base diameter .226
    Case rim diameter .278
    Case length .613
    Length overall 1.00

.22 Win-Auto
    Case neck diameter .250
    Case base diameter .250
    Case rim diameter .310
    Case length .665
    Length overall .915

So, I'm thinking .22LR is just not going to work.
  6. dcriner

dcriner Member

Thanks for that helpful info.

When I put 22LR shells in the tube, they seem to load into the chamber OK - but the two extractor fingers don't extend far enough to grab the rim. That's why I thought of some type of sabot or ring that would allow the 22LR to be extracted. Probably a lost cause.
    Doug
  7. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

At first I was thinking that if you knew a machinist who was up for a challenge, perhaps a custom extractor with slightly longer "fingers" might do the trick. But those differences in the case dimensions make me wonder just what's going to happen when you drop the hammer on a .22LR in that chamber. The case is going to expand, but then what? Will it expand enough to seal the chamber? If so, you might get away with it. If not, where might the gases go? Will there be enough for the bullet to clear the barrel, or will you be driving out a little lead "plug?" Be an interesting experiment! :)
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Check cheaper than dirt http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65110-1.html, There is a listing for .22 WRF ammo(which is what you are looking for I believe) . I understand that this ammo is now in production at better prices. Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

According to wikipedia the dimensions for .22 WRF are:

Bullet dia .226
    neck dia .2435
    base dia .2455
    rim dia .300
    case len .965
    overall 1.18

It would seem to be a slightly different beast.
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Both the Remington and Winchester .22 Automatic cartridges are unique to the guns it was used in, they are not interchangeable with each other, there is no other round that are interchangeable with them. They are not even remotely related to the WRF or WMR. .22 Long Rifle will not operate in any firearm chambered in one of those two obsolete rounds.
  11. dcriner

dcriner Member

12. dcriner

dcriner Member

I'm not a reloader, and have never heard of reloading rimfire cartridges. But would it be feasible? I'm going to start saving my Winchester Auto brass - maybe somebody will come up with a way?
  13. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Would that there were. I have a Remington Auto-Loader - same problem. Maybe someday someone will figure out how to convert them to centerfire and we can figure out how to load them up - that's probably the most reasonable approach.
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You can still find new Winchester Auto Rim from the Navy Arms 1990 run,but it gos for 25 to 50 dollars a box ( of 50 ),FWIW, the Winchester Auto Rim was factory loaded until 1970. The bad news for Remington Automatic Rim fire, there ain't none. the Remington Auto Rim is in the collectors only status. That is a shame because both guns are really nice rifles.
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Winchester WRA is HARD to find...

Because it was a butt-feed, they designed the .22auto round a little differently.

Good Luck findiing ammo for it...mostly found on auction sites selling "Vintage ammo",
    and if you are lucky, garage sales where they dunno what they've got.

Here's one site...
    http://www.ammo-one.com/22WIN-AUTO.html

So, you've probably got a nice wall-hanger...:)