.22 wmr semi-auto suggestions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by gotdiesel, Dec 22, 2008.

1. gotdiesel

gotdiesel New Member

I am looking to purchase a .22 mag semi-auto rifle. I will use the gun stricly for varmint hunting. Just wondering what some of your suggestions were for a dependable, accurate rifle that would stand up to ground blinds and other ground cover. I rarely have a shot of much more than 125 yards and feel the .22 mag is a good, cost effective choice. Any other suggestions are greatly appretiated.

Thanks-This is my first post. I am glad I found a place I can get some opinions from people who know what they are talking about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. gotdiesel

gotdiesel New Member

I am considering the Remington 597. I also saw a interesting looking gun made by Magnum Research Inc. Any input is greatly appretiated.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm a big fan of the .22 mag. I don't think you could go wrong with just about anything out there. My last one was a Remmington semi-auto, but sadly, I sold it when LA added the word "centerfire" to its hunting regulations for deer.
  5. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

For starter rifle (new) and one you can beat around, yet accurate my first choice would be a Savage, then Marlin, and Mossberg in that oder for a bolt action. In lever action I would go with Henry, but that is $100 or so more then the BA rifles.

If you were planing a lot of laying on the ground and heavy brush work doing your hunting, then I would go with a tube feed rifle like offered in Marlin and Henry.

I have my thing for BA rifles, but you might want to go auto loading and even then I would stick with same group minus Henry, but would also include Remington and it would be top choice if Marlin did not offer a tube fed automatic in 22 magnum.
  6. EvanB

EvanB New Member

Shhhhhhhh! Let's not get people thinking about .22 WMR in semi-auto, they are to few and I want them all.

The magnum Research is great. Marlin made a semi-auto that shoots very well, but is UGLY. I'd pass on the Remington 597. I'd pass on the Ruger 10/22 magnum although they bring big bucks. Volquartson makes a great rifle, very similar to the Magnum research, for several hundred dollars more. Thompson Center offered one but you rarely see one for sale. H&K made an excellent semi-auto also, but be prepared to spend $1200 or more.

Check out the CZ. Style, light weight, accurate and dependable. I dont have one but I understand it shoots with the best of them.
  7. 22shot

22shot New Member

gotdiesel

Nice bobcat!:)

I'm not much into varmit hunting with a .22WMR semi-auto; prefer bolt action.

I do have a Marlin 60; but it is more of a "fun gun"; silhoettes; tin cans; plinking.

My varmit gun (the smaller variety) is a Mossberg .22WMR 640KA topped with a Tasco 6x24 variable; AO; and a trigger shoe. No problems.:cool:

Attached Files:

8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Where do u live? is that a bobcat?
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    nice cat,i know you said 22 mag,but you might consider the 17 hmr,ammo is close to same price but your good to 150 yards or better for varmits.compare velocity of 22 mag maybe 14-1600 fps to 17 hmr 2250 fps. old semperfi
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id probably get a ruger 10-22 in 22 mag. can get some nice banana mags for it too
  11. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

the best .22wmr carbine is the Grendel R-31, 30-round mags...expect to cough up around a grand.
    discontinued due to Bill Clinton's Assault Weapons Ban.

[​IMG]

second best is the Marlin 922.also killed by Bill Clinton. May be resurrected soon in a new form...

The 597 .22wmr has issues...so does the 1022m...best avoided.

Magnum Research's is pretty sweet, currently in production, same for Volquartzen's
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

have you considered a pistol? The PMR-30 is a good .22 wmr caliber weapon.
  13. fourniermod11

fourniermod11 New Member

old semperfi--- 22 mag travel around 2000fps

1600 is for 22lr stinger......
  14. Big Shrek

*coughcough* 2200 fps :)

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR

Speed of a .17 HMR with more weight & smackdown :)
  15. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

well to be fair the .17hmr WAS designed to be the ultimate varmint round. I don't hunt, so I don't know if it succeeded or not.
  16. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've had this one for about a year now, and love it. I will be replacing the triger though, it's a bit rough. Magnum Research .22WMR

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  17. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

The Bruno ZKM 611 .22 Mag take down. If you can find one of these rifles you won't go wrong. I have owned a number of .22 Mags over the years but this one is the best by far. This rifle is tank tough and very accurate. It takes down with one screw and goes into any small 2 Pc. type over and under shotgun bag. This rifle has trailed in canoes on horses and jeeps or slung behind on a packRC
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  18. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

I like a Ruger 77/22 or a Browing T Bolt. But a Marlin 983S (stainless steel with laminated wood stock) or 983T (blued steel with synthetic stock) are good ones in the $200-$300 range.
  19. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Sorry I didn't pay attention to the fact that you wanted a semi-auto. Remington 597 or Ruger 10-22 are good ones.
  20. Big Shrek

There's a reason the 1022M was started & discontinued 5 times...it ain't a good gun by any stretch.
    Ruger never wanted to sink the money Volquartzen did in making the design work right.

Volquartzen makes a better 1022 &1022M than Ruger ever DREAMED of being capable of doing.