.222 or .223

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by frosty, Sep 23, 2003.

1. frosty

frosty New Member

what would you want to shoot ?
    Have any of you shot the .222 or .223? comments please.
    Good rifle for the .222 or .223. comments please.
    bolt action or lever , semi automatic what do you use?

Thanks guys for your time.
    :)
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

Frosty the .223 really shines due to the ammo cost (cheap) and availability (everywhere)

As for what type of rifle that question will bring up a zillion answers. What are you going to use it for, target, hunting, plinking, home defense?

Basically get the rifle style you enjoy most and have fun with it.
  3. frosty

frosty New Member

target ( yes ), hunting (maybe), plinking (definitely),

I plan to reload for the caliber that I choose.

I have heard that the .222 is dead on accurate and very easy to reload for due to the long case neck for the bullet.

I can get brass for the .222 or .223.

I have heard the same for the .223 the only difference is the neck is shorter on the case.

As far as the rifle is concerned, I am open to suggestions from anybody.
    I did see a CZ chambered in .222 (bolt action) but it was $474, is that to much?
  4. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

I'd go with the .223 If those were my only 2 choices. Like warpig stated is cheap, Find brass cheaper for reloadin and it's found anywhere. If me I'd go with a bolt because I'm more fond of the Bolts then the auto's. if ya looking for a good cheap gun to been used all around. ya can find Break over single shot rifles For well under $200. Plus with most of the single shots if ya get tired of that Cal. ya can buy a replacement barrel in a diff. cal. of pretty much any Cal. on the market. Most around here use the New England arms. But after I shoot there .223's I'm still glad I went ahead and bought my 22-250 But thats IMO.
  5. DK76

DK76 New Member

222 or 223

The .222 was a pretty successful target cartridge, but the .223 can be very accurate as well. I don't think you could tell much between the two in the field or from a standard production rifle. The more standard CZ's in 223 or 222 sell for closer to $400 around here, and they are great rifles. I have shot a few 223 chambered CZ's and they were all incredibly good shooting rifles. In fact I think I will have to buy one for myself soon. As to which cartridge you choose, that is up to you. If your going to reload the cost would be pretty even especially after the initial purchase of the brass. However, the 223 is quite common and although I reload I like the idea of being able to pick up ammo anywhere. Both are fine cartridges.
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Frosty, I have had the .222 Rem. and loved it. Of course I reloaded for it and it was great. then I found a S&W 1500 (made by howa) with a bull barrel in .223 topped with a Weaver T16 scope. This rifle will cloverleaf 5 shots at 100 yds all day long and never kick a bit. I would go with the .223. Just my .02 cents.
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

Hey plano was on the chat board a couple of days ago! Drop in for spell and talk for a while.

As far as the .222 or .223 question I will probably for the .223 since the brass is so easy to get localy.
    The .222 brass I would have to order for the same price as .223.

Thanks alot guys, you helped again as always.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Was on last night, Frosty. Me and IB were really throwing the words around. Usually there about 6:30 to 7:00 pm our time. Hope ta see y'all soon! Stay Frosty!
  9. Cliff

Cliff New Member

If I could find another Remington 788 in the .222 caliber I would pay the extra on getting the brass. When the military went to the .223 the gun makers saw a way to sell more guns. Let us face it that is what they are in the money to do. I feel, such as some bullet mfrgr's such as Sierra believe that the .222 is the most accurate 22 centerfire caliber out there. I will have to go with the 223 though since I can't find the 788.