.223, .243, .220, .22-250, wsm, wssm???? Advice?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Naldo, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Naldo

Naldo New Member

Hi all, sorry for the cryptic subject line.

I'm looking to get a bolt action rifle. Here's what I'm looking for:

I want a caliber that shoots far and flat.

I want to spend a few hours on the range with minimum damage to my shoulder

I want to load my own.

Any suggestions for calibers?

Thanks a bunch! :)
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Depending on how far you shoot, 22-250 out to fill the bill.
  3. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

that .243 Winchester Short Magnum looks like a baddy
  4. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Just my opinon here but I am not all that impressed with all of these "New" variations in all of these old calibers. If it were me I would stick with the old standards 243,22-250 or a 220 swift. That is just my thoughts on the subject but you will have to do the research and decide what works for you.
  5. NuclearMeltdown

NuclearMeltdown New Member

223 ammunition is really cheap...real easy on the shoulder too.

Far and flat? I'd say 22-250 or 220 swift for that, or another step up might be 25-06. Not sure about the recoil of 25-06 though, never having shot one.

I'll agree with inplanotx and say 22-250. But it's your choice.
  6. riderbob

riderbob New Member

Just west of " You sure do live a long way from
    Hi Naldo

I have both 22-250 and 25-06. Here's my rule of thumb. Under 300 yds, 22-250,over 300 yds, 25-06.

The 250 is a hoot with little recoil, deadly accurrate. Great to sit and shoot rock chucks all day. yotes crows and such.

25-06 still a hoot, but reaches out way past 300 yds. It was my first choice all around gun for that very reason. The recoil is not as bad as one would think. I have shot 50 rnd at one sitting and wasn't even sore the next day. I use it mainly for mule deer and long range varminting. Just make sure to get a barrel over 24" they don't like shorter ones for some reason.

Just my .02 worth.

Rider
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2003
  7. Naldo

Naldo New Member

Wow thanks for the great input everyone.

I've been thinking .22-250 as well. I did some research this weekend and that seems to be the best performer for the dollar.

Hmm...now...WHICH 22-250? decisions decisions :)
  8. warpig

warpig Guest

9. riderbob

riderbob New Member

Better take another look

Wp

I guess i need to take another look @ Savage. That is one sweet looking gun. How is savage in the accuracy dept. lately?
    I have always been a winchester guy, but if there is a better product for less money I'm there.

Rider
  10. warpig

warpig Guest

Savage sets the standards when it comes to accuracy. Especially with the new accu trigger.
  11. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I will have to agree with Warpig on the accuracy statement. Savage has really made a comeback in the last few years. Been thinkin of buyin one myself.
  12. riderbob

riderbob New Member

I'm sold

Well guys

I guess I'm sold. Now how do I go about explaining this to my wife? And what cal. ? Also been thinkin about the new .17 HMR.
    Oh wait that belongs in rimfire forum . I don't have a .223 and don;t need .308. decisions, decisions.

Didn't this thread start out to help Naldo ? Now I'm sold (weird).

Rider
  13. orangechief

orangechief New Member

I've been shopping for a Savage 12FV for cheap. Their out of the box reputation is superb. I have handled several, but have not shot one yet. Also, the Savage model 12BVSS model is beautiful. I would opt for the .223 with all the CHEAP ammo available. If you are looking to relaod exclusively, .22-250 is a really great round. I would only get one for pure target fun. If this investment is going to double as a varmint toy, I would definitely look for the .223
  14. potato_sniper

potato_sniper New Member

Food for thought.

Hey all,
    I was just looking at a gun mag today and they did a short article praising the attributes of the .223 WSSM. I was none too impressed. As far as the trajectory is concerned, it was close to a 22-250, but not as good. It didn't shoot as flat or as fast as a 22-250, and I would think it would be much more expensive(being brand new and what not.) If you really have to have a short action, then I would just get a regular ole .223 Rem. As far as I'm concerned, the short/long action makes little difference in a bolt action rifle, so I would go with the Savage in 22-250. Just my humble opinion, though.

Later.
  15. Naldo

Naldo New Member

I used to have a Sako .300winmag and my old .22-250 was a Browning A-Bolt.

While I still have to take a close look at the Savage, I'm leaning towards the Sako (or possibly a Tikka) in .22-250.
  16. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

One other advantage of the .223 is longer barrel life. The faster those .22 bullets are pushed the faster the barrel goes away.
    I agree with the others on the Savage, they are the most accurite rifle you can get for the price.
    Good shooting, John K
  17. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

And now for another oldie but goody....

Take a look at the .250 Savage. Low recoil, flat trajectory with the 87 grain pill, and the ability to use a heavy enough bullet to take deer reliably and humanely. If you need more horsepower, then open the chamber to Improved configuration, and give it a boost of 200-300 fps. When you shoot the leade out of the barrel, rechamber to .257 Roberts and start all over again. The .22s do not dispense enough thump out at range to give me much confidence in them for coyotes, and the 6mms are hard on barrels, while being limited to 100 grains of slug.
  18. Elarski

Elarski New Member

I'm looking to build a new 22 Cal Rifle, and most of the responses to the 220 Swift idea are that it's a barrel burner. I'll probably go the 22-250 route this time. I already have two rifles in .223, there a blast to shoot, and they have virtually no recoil for me.:cool:
  19. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

Elarski...rechamber youe 22-250 to Ackley Improved and for all intentional purposes you will have a swift...if velocity is your quest!

swede
  20. Elarski

Elarski New Member

I'll definitely consider it. Thanks for the info.