The Firearms Forum banner

.223 Ammo Boxes..I'm Looking At Some Now

2K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  slayer 
#1 ·
I'm at a site that sells plastic ammo boxes for all calibers, cheap. Not knowing enough, I guess, I need some advice.

In the description of the boxes, it'll have this:

RS-100- 17 Fireball, 17 / 221 / 222 / 223 Rem., 204 Ruger, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 222 Rem. Mag., 223 Rem. HP, 25-20 Win., 300 Sherwood, 300 Wisper, 32 Ideal, 32 / 401 Win. S.L., 351 WSL, 38-55 Win., 6x47, 5.56x45 NATO, 6mm TCU, 6mm-223 Rem.
Max. OAL= 2.65" .

All of my rounds are either Hornady, or Winchester ( .223 and 5.56 )

Does that info above mean I can't use the storage boxes unless they're made specifically for the brands of ammo I have?

#8 ·
I JUST now got 9, 50 round, plastic boxes for 17.00. Ebay. I'm just your average, I guess, person. Having a closet full of boxes, Red at that, would have been over the top. I went to Midway first ( post 3 ). Found several places with your price or a little higher but the minimum stuff kept me from buying. Works out to about $1,89 each. I'll take it. :)

#10 ·
Yeppers...When I bought them, it showed he had 10 at the time. Be here Tuesday. When I got the AR, it came with 7 full magazines of .223 and 5.56.mixed, and 120 in one of those lil plastic, steel clone type, containers.

The magazines are loaded with 223's and 5.56, mixed. Does it matter if one round is 223 and the next round is 556? Or, should I fire just one type per magazine?

#11 ·
It shouldn't matter, or at least it doesn't to me.

I took two ARs to the range today, the complete upper I got a few weeks ago and the one I finished building last night. I plain forget to pick up my bag with all of the .223 reloads I was going to test. Luckily I had one 20 round box of Wolf ammo in my regular ole shooting bag. I was able to get the A4 upper on the New Frontier lower (EOTech) zeroed with 4 rounds so at least I had 16 rounds to play with the newly built one.

#13 ·
It shouldn't matter, or at least it doesn't to me.

I took two ARs to the range today, the complete upper I got a few weeks ago and the one I finished building last night. I plain forget to pick up my bag with all of the .223 reloads I was going to test. Luckily I had one 20 round box of Wolf ammo in my regular ole shooting bag. I was able to get the A4 upper on the New Frontier lower (EOTech) zeroed with 4 rounds so at least I had 16 rounds to play with the newly built one.
I want a review on that poly lower.

Reactions: Albtraum
#15 ·
I have two of them, one on the Palmetto State Armory upper (mentioned above) and one one a Chiappa dedicated 22LR upper. I've had the first one for a little over a year. It has been on another 5.56/.223 upper and a 5.7X28 upper and so far it still looks and performs like new. I inspect it after every range trip. The only thing that bothers me, not concerned, is the breakdown pin seems kinda flimsy looking.

#17 ·
The owner of an area gun shop was at a show and they had a New Frontier lower with the trigger group installed and set up in a rig to pull the trigger and reset the hammer. They claimed it cycled 56,000 times before a spring broke. The only problem with that test is, no pounding from firing cartridges..

#22 ·
I think the nine I bought for 1.89 each was about as good as I was going to find. Pleased as punch to put all those loose rounds into something other than the Styrofoam block I now have them shoved into.

#23 ·
I have plastic baggies full of .380, 9mm, and .45 ACP. I really need some boxes, too. The four I got from Midway the other day didn't even come close to satisfying the problem!! When I get a few minutes, I am going to search eBay for some or just order a bunch from Berry's, which ever is cheaper!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.