The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

223 Ammo

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Bruce FLinch 
#1 ·
I picked up a mini 14 last week and it came with 2 cases of ammo. The gun had never been shot and I am assuming the ammo was older than the gun (Serial # puts the gun made in 1982). I could not get a full 30 round clip to cycle without jaming. Under futher inspection the ammo was bulged and would not seat in the chamber correctly. Two questions... Where is a good place to pick up a case of decent (cheap) 223 ammo and how do i get rid of the old stuff. I am sure my garbage man would not appreciate seeing 2000 rounds of live ammo in my can.

#3 ·
Hammer, just keep in mind that some cheap ammo may not cycle in the Mini any better than the stuff you have now, I've never owned a mini 14, but if it's anything like the Mini 30 (And I bet it is), or an AR, then QUALITY MAGS will make a world of difference as well.

With all that said, I was hearing mixed reviews, but mostly good stuff about Wolfs new polymer coated .223 rounds, not the old lacquer coated junk... Anyway I picked up a few boxes and they shot flawlessly through a DPMS carbine, admittedly less power than the XM193 that I'm used to, but then you cant seem to find that ammo during war time and the Wolf was fun to plink with for quite a bit less money.

Try out a few different brands before you buy in bulk and stay the #$!% away from Olympic ammo.

KY, come on Bogart! Lemme have at least one case! :D

Crpdeth

#4 ·
Hmmmmm......

You may wanna look at this "Mil Spec" M-193 stuff that Wolf is importing (also sold by ammoman) as well...Produced by Prvi Partizan in Serbia, it seems to be getting good reviews by the AR crowd, but I haven't gotten my hands on any to try it out yet. Might wanna hurry though, the price is going up and seems to be selling quickly.

Ammoman

Crpdeth

#10 ·
Ky

It's really good so far, alot of it is just common sense stuff, but I haven't gotten that deep into it yet with all the activity around here.

I would like to pass it around and have anyone here who is interested read it and sign it for me after I finish it...Some ppl here have done that in the past and I always thought it was neat

Crpdeth

#11 ·
Crpdeth said:
Ky

It's really good so far, alot of it is just common sense stuff, but I haven't gotten that deep into it yet with all the activity around here.

I would like to pass it around and have anyone here who is interested read it and sign it for me after I finish it...Some ppl here have done that in the past and I always thought it was neat

Crpdeth
I'm in. Let me know when your done.
Hows the young one doing? Keeping you up nights?

#12 ·
KyBlaster said:
I'm in. Let me know when your done.
Hows the young one doing? Keeping you up nights?
Alright you're first on the list then, I'll start a thread about it when we start passing it around, heck you may be the only one interested. :D

Mattison is doing alot better, there was some lactos problems that took a little while to figure out, then problems switching to formula, but she's slowly adjusting.

Crpdeth

#14 ·
Have the neighbor kid "pull" the bullets. Spread the powder around the yard & garden. Sell the bullets to a buddy who reloads, & give the kid the brass to take to the recycle center to cash in. I get $.59/lb for scrap brass. My Mini 14 is pretty accurate @ 50 yds. Never had a function problem. It is fussy about magazines. Make sure your action doesn't have any spots not lubed since '82! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.