.223 and .308 resizing question.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bucksnducks, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

When reloading for .223 and .308 to be used in semi-autos like the AR-15 and M1A, is a full length resizing die adequate or should a small base resizing die be used? Thanks.
  2. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Depends. :)

In my case I have a couple of 'true' 5.56 chambers (A Colt and a Sabre) and one Wylde chamber that doesn't like brass that's come out of the other two. LTC Liwanag (former Army AMU commander) steered me to my current reloading process, which is to run all the brass through a Redding neck sizing die and then through a Redding small base die (no crimp) and my problems with the Wylde chamber went away. By using this system, I also work then brass slightly less than if I was using the Dillon "all-in-one" Decap/Neck/Size die overall.

Later, I got a 5.56 chamber reamer from Ned Christenson and 'fixed' the Wylde chamber and my brass issue went away. I still use small base die simply because I feel that the Redding die is more consistent and does a better job than the stock Dillon die.

Short answer: For me, if my brass goes thru an semi-auto rifle, I small base die size it.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Thats almost a trial and error situation, dependent completley on your specific firearm and chamber. I found no need for SB resizing for either my bushmaster .223 or my M1A in .308.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I think the simple answer is: The full length resizing die is adequate.
  5. Lost One

Lost One New Member

The .308 has caused me some issue with reloading specs, reading article after article comparing 7.62x51 chamber to .308. I will be reloading for several FN-FAL's that I built and headspaced to SAAMI size rather than Military gauge. About the best article I have read on it so far is http://www.303british.com/id36.html I know the link says .303 but its an article about .308 vs 7.62x51 chamber size.

I will still have to load within the 50K cup for my FAL's. Just thought I would post this so you can read about it.
  6. da357mag

da357mag New Member

Question: I have heard of "small base dies" but what the ell are they?
  7. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Small base dies are dies that size to the minimum side of a specification. For instance if a case diameter is XX +/- .004 it will be on the -.004 side. This helps resize the brass for chamber bulges and other sizing artifacts from being fire formed as its shot.
  8. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

Thanks to all who provided input. :)