.223-caliber altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by questor, Jan 26, 2010.

1. questor

questor New Member

.223-caliber altered to fire .50-caliber

29JanUpdate: BRANCHBURG -- The Virginia man who allegedly had an arsenal of weapons and a map of a U.S. Army base stashed in motel room when he was arrested earlier this week appeared today in federal court, where authorities charged him with being a convicted felon in possession of weapons.

It was the second court appearance this week for Woodson, who deserted the Navy in 1989 and was on the run for eight years.

Full Story:
    http://www.newsrunner.com/display-article/?eUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nj.com%2Fnews%2Findex.ssf%2F2010%2F01%2Fvirginia_man_with_weapons_cach_2.html&eSrc=NJ.com&eTitle=Virginia+man+accused+of+having+weapons+cache+in+N.J.+motel+makes+first+court+appearance

27th Jan update: Forrest said the rifle Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

When detectives later searched his room at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg, they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, maps of a U.S. military facility and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition. They also found a Middle Eastern-style headdress, according to CNN

1st question: how does one convert a .223 to .50? Just located the answer: http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html
    2nd question: do you need a class III for a grenade launcher?

Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room

Tuesday , January 26, 2010

Authorities in central New Jersey seized a cache of weapons and ammunition including rifles, a grenade launcher and a night vision scope from the motel room of a Virginia man arrested early Monday by officers responding to a report of a suspicious person, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state.

A judge set Woodson's bail Tuesday at $75,000.

Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Forrest said the .223-caliber assault rifle that Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, a map of a U.S. military installation and a map of an out-of-state civilian community, a Middle Eastern red and white colored traditional headdress and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition.

Woodson is being held at the Somerset County Jail on numerous charges, including unlawful possession of weapons, possession of prohibited weapons, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

A judge set Woodson's bail at $75,000.

Forrest said investigators from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

The FBI issued a statement: "Presently, there does not appear to be a link to terrorism; Woodson does not appear to have a link to any known terrorist groups, nor a specific terrorist plot. However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings. It is possible that Mr. Woodson could face federal gun charges, but that has yet to be determined. At this time, the matter is being worked as a state case out of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

Authorities in New Jersey say Woodson's last known address is on Generation Drive in Reston. On Monday night, Fox 5 went to that neighborhood, but residents we spoke with did not recognize Woodson's photograph.

Police ask anyone with information to contact Somerset County Crime Stoppers’ Tip Line at 1-888-577-8477.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

He probably didn't have a 50 BMG AR under his coat. More likely
    that he had a 50 cal upper in 50 Beowulf or 50 GI?
    I think there are a couple of other calibers out there, but they are
    all relatively short fat "pistol caliber" 50's.

http://www.50beowulf.com/
  3. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Answer to your 2nd question: No.

I've seen M79's for sale at gun shows. Completely legal to shoot dummy rounds, smoke grenades, etc. Put a HE round in and you will cross the line.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

That's what I was thinking, it would be useless in a fight if it was a .50 BMG, so what would be the point.
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Or .50 AE. Those were coming onto the scene in the middle '90s. They held 10 rounds I believe of .50 AE.
  6. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

All seems an anti-guner's "wet dream" to me......

A "goofy perp" from VA inside a NJ conveniene store at 0400 hrs wearing body armor and camo with a concealed AR-type, (aka black rifle/assault weapon") is "stumbled upon" by LEOs that recognize, confront, pursue and corral him without a "gun fight".......

Add to that the "perp's" carry weapon is reported as a .223 Bushmaster" , "altered to .50 caliber. Further "investigation" revealed he had a .308 Bushmaster and both weapons had their sn's defaced......and he possessed a "grenade launcher" and maps of military installations......

About all he lacked was a neon sign........ >MW
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Hmmm, maybe... Maybe not... All it's missing is the 'angry white male' slant. On this case they can't claim that. :D
  8. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Besides being stupid while in New Jersey, what is his crime?
  9. muddober

muddober Active Member

The defaced serial number is a federal crime.

Ron
  10. questor

questor New Member

Concealed weapon without a CCW is another violation. Believe his weapon is banned in NJ.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  11. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Forgot ex-Navy. So now the truth comes out, those danged ex- military types are dangerous.

They call this an orgy of evidence. How many LEOs out there have run across an orgy of evidence, ever.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  12. Millwright

Yeah, Hardballer, I know I'm paranoid......But what worries me is "am I paranoid enough ? ?"

'Further review' hasn't revealed much more in the way of data, except a judge did make this a 'bailable offense", (75K). Pity NJ hunters showing up for coffee in the dark a.m. enroute to their deer stand/goose blind, though......>MW
  13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

:D

I've been crazy all my life, it's kept me from going insane.
  14. questor

questor New Member

updated news release:

Forrest said the rifle Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

When detectives later searched his room at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg, they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, maps of a U.S. military facility and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition. They also found a Middle Eastern-style headdress, according to CNN
  15. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

Sounds like all the evidence is in for a 'real good' false flag display.
  16. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Yeah..... I was thinking the same thing. :mad:

I used to hunt deer on the base when I was stationed @ Kingsbay Sub base, & having eveything this guy had w/ the exception of a vest would be considered normal hunting equipment..... & when did it become illegal to own & wear a vest? IMHO, wearing a vest while hunting is actually pretty damn smart.

Everything else that the anti-gun media reported him having, was back @ his hotel room..... which is right where I would've left my firearms if I was on an out of state hunt! & a defaced ser.#?!! That could mean anything. They didn't say "Missing, altered, or ground out"..... only defaced. :confused:

While managing a couple of pawn shops, I've seen more than a few pre-owned firearms w/ what some @ the batfe might consider to be defaced ser.#'s..... bad rust, deep scratches or pitting, et al.

Why did he run? Who knows..... maybe he had a bench warrant for multiple parking tickets. A .223 (lower) w/a .50 upper..... me thinks this story stinks! :mad: Would someone who was up to no good give up w/o a firefight?

Did the LEOs do wrong? Nope! I'm not saying that @ all, & I'm not saying this guy Lloyd R. Woodson is innocent of any wrong doing, but the media can sure make someone sound like obama bin ladin when all he might be is a half asleep knuckle head getting coffee before his hunt.

(Boy do I HATE the media!!!!! :mad:)

SR
  17. ARB

ARB New Member

I, think it's a great idea to wear a vest while hunting. You never know when those darn deer are gonna start fighting back!!
  18. 45nut

45nut Active Member

ANother terrorist arrested?

Fox News report

NEWARK, N.J. — A man who authorities say had a cache of weapons and a map of an Army base in a New Jersey motel room is due in court on Friday.

Lloyd Woodson was arrested Monday after a convenience store clerk in Branchburg called police to report he was acting strangely.

Police say Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying an assault rifle. Officers found weapons including a grenade launcher and a map of New York's Fort Drum in his motel room.

Woodson is charged with state and federal weapons violations.

Authorities have not said whether they think he was planning an attack. The FBI said Woodson has no known terrorist connections

Well, well another terrorist? :eek: I thought they were going to start liking us because we bowed and kissed everyone's @$$. I don't think so. :eek: :mad:
  19. Millwright

The further this story goes, the more it seems "goofy".......

Why would any armed "perp" - if robbery was his objective - act in a fashion as to catch the attention of a convenience store clerk causing him to call out the militia ? (Yeah I know criminals are often "stupid" ( I associate with them daily), but WTF ? This ain't "stupid", its insane !!

As for the .223/.50 "alteration".....That's pure A-G political BS !! We all know the 'AR platform' can be legally altered to a number of calibers from .17 to .50.....even in hoplophobic NJ ..so long as it remains a single shot of semi-auto !!

Now the alleged "defaced serials" is another issue. Its a federal offense ! So Somerset Cty/Branchburg cops have a "knee knocker".........If the Somerset Cty Prosecutor chooses to "call in the feds" on this "high profile case"......

Care to "bet the ranch" on how this case is going to go ?

I'm betting ten years' federal "hard time", plus whatever charges the USN wants to bring is going to be trashed in favor of the Somerset County's Prosecutor's NJ charges. IOW, a serious perp is going to "skate" because it furthers the career of a piddley county prosecutor !! >MW
  20. questor

questor New Member

29JanUpdate: BRANCHBURG -- The Virginia man who allegedly had an arsenal of weapons and a map of a U.S. Army base stashed in motel room when he was arrested earlier this week appeared today in federal court, where authorities charged him with being a convicted felon in possession of weapons.

It was the second court appearance this week for Woodson, who deserted the Navy in 1989 and was on the run for eight years.

http://www.newsrunner.com/display-article/?eUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nj.com%2Fnews%2Findex.ssf%2F2010%2F01%2Fvirginia_man_with_weapons_cach_2.html&eSrc=NJ.com&eTitle=Virginia+man+accused+of+having+weapons+cache+in+N.J.+motel+makes+first+court+appearance
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010