.223 case trimming question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1in9twist, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 1in9twist

1in9twist New Member

So, does everyone trim their .223 brass prior to reloading? A buddy of mine runs a couple MG's and of course, just dumps mad amounts of rounds down range. He swears he hasn't trimmed a case in years. I keep measuring my spent .223 and none of em have stretched to trim length, literally none of em. Some have 3 reloads on em.
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I have 5 or 6 loadings on some of my 223 brass and they are not showing any signs of being too long. If you are using tighter chambers that might be the case. Unknown about relaoding FA brass as all the brass I fired FA was on the govt dime and we just put it all back in the box and took it to the ammo dump.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

1in9twist:

You might be onto something. I reload for over 30 different caliber including 223, over the last 20+ years, and I don't ever remember trimming 223. I just had not noticed that before now. But I would still check it after every shooting.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I check and trim every case before reoading. Some need trimming, some don't. I use the Lee case trim tool and a battery powered drill.
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

All mine seem to have to be trimed after the first time to the low limit. but after that i get about 3 reloads on mine ,but i am shooting a bolt rifle.
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

steve4102:

I agree but what I am saying is I don't remember ever having to trim 223 because it never exceeds the max limit. But that may just be my experience and you are right: You must check it after every firing. A reloader should be sure to check it AFTER the cases are sized, not before, as the act of sizing the brass affects the Case Overall Length of the loaded cartridge.

LDBennett
  8. medalguy

medalguy Member

I shoot a ton of 5.56 in my M16. I reload military brass only, no commercial brass. I trim the first time I load it and then reload it three times and pitch it. I have never retrimmed it and never had a case separation either. Don't overwork the brass and toss it before it becomes a problem is my mantra.
  9. langenc

langenc Member

"....toss it.."

Do you ever consider selling at the scrap yard. Brass is about $2/ pound around here.
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Oh yeah, toss it into the scrap bucket. No brass goes into the trash. :eek:
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

why toss it i have about 9 reloads on my 223 but then i dont load hot though. and i have no signs of case seporation yet