223 dies please help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by h2oman1975, Mar 10, 2012.

1. h2oman1975

h2oman1975 New Member

i have been reloading 9mm for about 3 months now. and now that i have some 223 brass saved and purchased some i would like to start reloading it. but what i need to know is what dies i need to buy. i was loooking at this dies here. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/434975/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-223-remington if this are the only dies i will need please let me know. i know they are some pros on this board that can help with this thanks.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That set will get ya goin strong. I use that exact set and I added a necksizer die to it for my bolt actions. They have served me well for nearly a decade and will for another decade or more im sure.

Aside from those dies you will need of course your fired brass cases, some small rifle primers, some .224" dia projectiles, and a suitable propellant. I recommend Varget, its one of the best rifle powders made and exceptional in the .223.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Two thumbs up h2oman.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also use the same set. I use it for when I am reloading for my AR15, but I also bought a neck size only die for when I load for my bolt action 223.

BTW, welcome to The Firearms Forum!
  5. h2oman1975

h2oman1975 New Member

thanks everyone. i am loading this for my ar15. well im going to order this set then. i read alot on this forum and its one of the most info forums out there.
  6. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

I also use the Lee pacesetter die set for 223.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im suprised LD hasnt chimed in about how much better Dillon is... Oh.. Wait.. Thats right, I remember, he converted to Lee a couple weeks ago. ;)

All is well. :D
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, h2oman.

Glad you got your answers here. Stick around, there's lots of great help here for the asking, from real experts. Everyone is a great help and generous with their advice.

Lots of great discussions here too.
  9. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Yes I was thrilled when I learned LD had decided to join LEE Lovers of the world. I think LD now stands for Lee Devotee. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice brisk. I like it! And it fits well. :D
  11. armoredman

armoredman New Member

I just started loading .223 myself, and bought the Lee Pacesetter die set from Midway myself. Seem to work just fine, but the bullet seater might need an internal polish - leaves small lines around the ogive when seating bullets.
    BTW, I use only Lee dies, seem to work JUST fine. :)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep. I find a bit of flitz or 600 grit silicon carbide on a bullet chucked in a hand drill will polish the seater stem in short order. and it only wastes the 1 bullet, tho not really, I clean the bullets with a rag and some denatured alcohol and load them for fouling shots. not a bad deal for 30 seconds of work.