1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

223 Dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ALF357, Mar 14, 2010.

1. ALF357

ALF357 New Member

Going to buy a 223 Remington Die set today. I thought I have read before that I should buy a short base die instead of a full length die set so I don't have feeding problems. I am reloading for my mini-14. Does anyone know which is preferred and why? Thanks
  2. medalguy

medalguy Member

I think what you mean is small base dies. Some people will tell you they are absolutely required if you shoot a semiauto gun. Personally I have shot literally thousands of rounds of reloaded GI brass in several AR's, an M16, and Mini14 all resized with standard dies and never, ever had a problem with rounds chambering other than just fine. Others may have had a different experience, but that's mine.

I would say to try a set of standard dies and see if they work. If not, you can always sell them on evilbay for probably at least what you paid for them, then buy small base dies. Or, find someone who loads on standard base dies and try a couple dozen rounds and try that.
  3. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Some warnings

Some .223 brass is kinda soft, meaning it is more likely to spread out at the base. Federal used to have this kind of problem, with loosening primer pockets, primer pockets getting more shallow, and I believe I heard this complaint too.

Some mil-surp brass for sale has been fired in light machineguns, which usually have loose chambers and headspace. If you are not using commercial brass, the small base dies may well be what you need.

Some chambers are cut really tight. In the past, Mini-14 rifles have not been, but Ruger has been trying to improve the rifle's accuracy.

If you are only reloading brass you have previously fired in your rifle, the chances are very small that you will need a small base die.
  4. oldreliable45120

oldreliable45120 New Member

Unless you have a custom tight chamber you probably wont need the small base dies.I havent had any problems using full length dies in the past 30 years of reloading 223.