.223 home defense ammo

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by jestor, Sep 16, 2010.

1. jestor

jestor New Member

I'm fixing to do some reloading for my Ruger mini 14 and wanted some opinions on good home defense rounds. What would you go with say between something like
    SS109 M855, 62 Grain Steel Core Full Metal Jacket
    55 grain Full Metal Jacket
    55 grain hollow point
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Looks to me like you are preparing to be attacked by
    armored vehicles. If you are, you're shooting the right
    ammo.

Zeke
  3. jestor

jestor New Member

I put different colored electrical tape or paint a dot on my magazines to try to keep up with what they are loaded with zb338, you never know what situation will arise.
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would use the hollow points for self defense... keeping a mag or two loaded with the FMJ or the ss109's for those "situations" you never know might arise
  5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Former Guest

I'd stick to Hollow Points, they're less likely to ricochet and injure an innocent.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

If you're in a neighborhood of ANY kind, you shouldn't be using that for self defense.

Those rounds move at super high velocity and will go thru the bad guy, through your home wall, through your neighbor's wall, and into your neighbor's kid. Don't do it.

Use a shotgun if you must, or a handgun.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have seen several test of the .223 as a hom1e defense round, it works, and it works well. Use the FMJ, and the HP's, but not the steel core ammo. 00 Buck will shoot through walls that the .223 will not get thru. The bullet just starts to come apart once it strikes an object. The test that surprised me was one where they set up 5 1gal jugs of water. The .223 got thru 2 jugs, and a little spray on to the third jug. 9mm's, .38's, and .380's got thru at least three jugs. .45's, 12 gauge 00buck/slugs, and .357's shot thru all 5 jugs, and kept going. They also tested these same calibers against dry wall constructed barriers that they had set up. Four walls, just like in your home. The .223 penitrated no more than the first two walls.
  8. graehaven

Here's the Box 'O Truth testing on this:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot19.htm this one on the jugs of water. Went through FOUR, both kinds.

Here's the walls test: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm

Missed shots would be the primary concern. Personally, I think you're better off using a hollow point pistol round - it's a LOT slower than rifle or shotgun, and you won't have the over penetration problem.

Just fyi. :D
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I've seen 250 round "Megapacks" of a Rem. load using 40 gr. JHP. These are extremely fragile at high velocity, and will literally explode when they hit the smallest thing. That's still 40 gr. of lead and jacket particles tho, and if you hit a man at close range with one of those, he'll hump up like a sick coyote, with nothing inside his chest but gooey gore. I would use those if you don't handload. If you do your own loading, try the 45 gr. "Jet" bullet from Speer. These were designed to fragment @ closer to 2,000 fps. At .223 velocities, they'll be even more of a "particle bomb".
  10. graehaven

Again, I understand that there are "defensive" rounds you could use in the .223 or 5.56 configuration in an AR or mini-14. But if you're in a neighborhood, the risk of overpenetration is too high - especially with the rounds he suggested at the beginning of this thread.

If I had a neighbor that defended himself in this way in an incident, I would be especially angry with him, and justifiably so, for putting me and my family at high risk. Doubly so, if he had a pistol or shotgun he COULD have used instead.

That type of firearm is TOO MUCH in a urban/suburban defense setting, unless you're in a total SHTF situation. If you're in the country, and no one's house is very close to yours (within 1,000 yards), I'd say, that's safer.
  11. johnlives4christ

so you'd be angry at someone for defending their life with an ar if you were near by, even if no one but the badguy got hurt.... thats crazy. granted it's not the best option for close quarters battle.. but you use what you have.
  12. graehaven

I did qualify that with, "if he had a pistol or shotgun he COULD have used instead."

If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's FREE to use that to defend himself. Equally, I'm FREE to be upset for someone using that in close proximity to others if he had OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE. And, even if he didn't have other options, I'm still FREE to be angry.

It's not crazy. It's my opinion on that specific situation.

I wasn't trying to be contrary, I was trying to present other viable options, options which I thought were better, based on the risk reasons I gave. Using ANY firearm to defend yourself is risky, but in this context, IMO the lowest risk is with a pistol.
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Go back to those links of the tests done by box o' truth. Everything but birdshot penetrated all 5 walls. That's why I say that 40 gr. JHP is the "right" answer for a .223 defensive load. It's comical to me to see that the emotional argument pervades here, in lieu of the technical and OBVIOUS.
  14. jestor

jestor New Member

To help clarify the issue I live out in the country, so no need to worry about shooting thru a neighbors house. I was looking for bullet recomendations for general home defense and in case of shtf senarios where I would have to protect my little patch of land from all enemies foreign or domestic.
  15. johnlives4christ

in that case i'd use ss109 stuff jestor.

graehaven i knowd what you meant...was just sparring with you a little :)