.223 Loads for Contender?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wng-2, Jan 7, 2011.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I just picked up a .223 REM. Barrel for my TC Contender. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience
    Working up loads for this configuration. I have three hundred Sierra 63 grain semi pointed bullets that were given to me.
    Only one of my three manuals shows Contender specific loads for the .223, and it does not list a 63 grain bullet.
    It would be nice to use these bullets If possible, but I suspect the best thing to do is to go get bullets and powder listed in the Lyman manual for .223 Contender.
    I would be interested to know your experiences and suggestions, or other manuals to look in I have Speer # 14, Lyman 49th, and Modern reloading.
    I should also note that I am very new to reloading. Thanks very much.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If your manual has a load for a 62 grain bullet, you should be able to use that one without any problems.

If your manual is the Lyman #49, there is a recipe for a 63 grain bullet on page 139. It doesn't say anything about the contender but why not use that data. Start out using the minimums and work from there.

I compared the data of the 55 grain bullet (contender load) with the data for a 55 grain rifle load and the data is exactly the same, with the powders listed.

I have not developed any special load for my .223 contender. I just use whatever I have laying around!:D
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I bought a 14 inch Contender barrel for my Contender in the late 1980's. Where I shot at the time, the range line had a corrugated metal roof. When I shot the thing shooters around me seemed to take notice. Behind the gun it was not bad at all but any one along the firing line got a lot of the concussion from the short barrel.

About 26 grains of H335 behind a 55 gr FMJ works fine in mine. You have to match the bullet length (length is normally a function of bullet weight) with the twist of the barrel. 1 in 10 inches twist was normal back then and I suspect that is what my barrel is. Todays military 223's are 1 in 7.5 or 8 or 8.5 inches so they shoot bullets as long or longer, such as the 63, 69, 75 grain bullets. Get the twist wrong for the bullet length and the bullet may enter the target sideways because it never stabilizes. Use too fast of a twist and the bullet may disintegrate on the way to the target (don't ask how I know that!).

LDBennett