.223 military crimp question?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Dec 5, 2011.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

is their anyway around the crimping removal from the primer pocket? i know rcbs make a die but ive heard alot of complaints. dillons looks like a great one but pricey. is their anyway around it?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of complaints you've heard. I've been using the RCBS one for a few decades now, on the only problem I've ever had was when I got careless and it bit me.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=64590&highlight=bit

If you don't want to swage the crimp away, you can cut it off. There are tools specially for it, and you can sometimes do it with a chamfer tool, or just a pocketknife (although that takes a while).
  3. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

people would say they would brake the rods all the time. gow much is the tool? like $30?
  4. mikld

mikld Active Member

There ain't no way around removing the primer crimp, has to be done if you want to stuff another primer in the pocket. Cheapest and easiest way is to get a small drill, larger than the primer pocket, and champher the pocket edge enough to remove the crimp. For a bunch of years I've used a 60 degree countersink to lightly champher the primer pocket on my used military brass. I've heard the RCBS tool is good, but I haven't needed one...
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I bought a bunch of military once fired brass (308 and 50BMG).

Years ago I bought the Dillon tool for swaging the pockets to the correct size. When I tried it on the 308 cases I had problems. Even though all the 308 cases were Lake City, they were not all from the same year or the same lot (apparently). In reading through the Dillon instructions they stated that the thickness of the head of the case is not all that well controlled lot to lot on military brass and various thickness will screw up the ability of the Dillon tool to do the swage properly. I found that out! I had to revert to the RCBS primer pocket reaming tool that removes the crimp by removing metal. That was not all that great either as the tool did not remove all the crimp. In the end I had to revert to a 60 degree counter sink. To be assured that all the crimp was removed I had to gage each and every primer pocket with the correct plug gage. The crimp goes deeper into the pocket area then you might think.

I had the same problems with the 50 BMG brass.

I got them all (over 1000 cases!) done but in the future I'll just use the counter sink.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can break them, if you set them up correctly. If you do it wrong, you can break anything. As I said, I've used the same set for some 30 years. Don't know what they cost now. It was 15 bucks, way back then.

I loaned it to my moronic brother-in-law. When it came back, the 223 rod was bent. I called RCBS, told 'em it was bent, and how much for a new one? They said, "where you live?" and sent me a new one. No charge.

The only way I can see that he bent it was if he had it run down too far, and then was using a compound leverage press (like a rockchucker). The press is stronger than the rod, so if you set it up wrong, you can certainly break it. But if you do it right, there are no problems.

If you keep your fingers out of the way. :eek:
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Keep it simple and inexpensive. Take a chamfer and deburring tool, throw it in a drill and use the chamfer side at a medium speed in the empty primer pocket and you'll see the crimp come off in one coil, takes less than 3 seconds per case.
  8. Squeak

Squeak Member

In my opinion, the 60 degree countersink & an electric drill is the way to go.
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I use a drill and a drill bit. I take off just what is necessary. Now a word of warning here. dont hold the case in your hand and attempt to drill. put the case in a vise. These days you gotta be carefull giving advice.
  10. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I do the same thing but am afraid to say I hold the cases in my hand.
  11. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

I have tryed the Dillon Super Swagger on both crimped .556 and also 9mm crimped brass 1000s of rounds. It did not solve the problem. I bought different reamers trying to trim the edges but the best to date is the Hornady primer pocket reamer. It perfectly cuts the crimp off and bottoms out at the bottom of the primer pocket so you dont cut to deep and ruin any cases. It is a hand trimmer but you could chuck it up. Good Luck
  12. 03fxsti

03fxsti New Member

I bought a couple thousand 5.56 cases a few years ago. I just sent them out to be processed. Cleaned, sized, trimmed, and pockets swaged. I think I paid like $30 a thousand. Got em back gauged em and ready to go.
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Aint no way I'd pay anyone to do something I consider therapy. I just chuck a countersink in the drill-press and go to town.
  14. sorral

sorral New Member

Use a power drill with a #2 Phillips bit. It works great for the one or two I come across.
  15. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

I bought the RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Combo on sale at Midway a few days ago (around $18). I tried it out on some 5.56 cases I had and it worked fine. Setup was fairly easy, just make sure you follow the instructions. WELL worth the $18 bucks or so spent on it.