.223 powders

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ace1911, Mar 25, 2011.

1. bamashooter

bamashooter New Member

I have never had a problem with federal brass and I have shot alot of it..hmmm.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

When you load for precise target shooting with custom rifles you develop reloading techniques that tend to spill over into the less precise shooting you do.

I weigh cases and bullets into exact weight groups. I do this because it elimnates flyers. I deburr flashholes because it makes ignition more even and consistent, which eliminates flyers. etc, etc, etc.

Old habits die hard and loading with these techniques will have you tossing heavy cases in the scrap box and keeping light ones til you have enough to use as a batch.

And yes, I do painstakingly take the time to deburr the flash holes on each and every case i reload, including .380s:eek:
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find federal brass very soft, all of it, including pistol brass. After a few loadings in high pressure rounds they tend to swell worse than say a winchester case. I have had case head separations in .308 with federal only. Never with any other of the big american brands.

Also after but a few cycles I find federal primer pockets so loose you could seat primers with your fingers. not good..

I find it best to scrap federal brass and use winchester/ remington/ hornady/ lapua/ nosler, etc...
  4. bmg50doorgunner

bmg50doorgunner New Member

I've used H335 and Varget to propel 69gr. out of a Colt M4, 1:9 twist, 16" barrel. I agree with Steve about the ease and consistency of dispensing ball powders, that's why I eventually grew to favor H335 over the extruded Varget for reloading .223 ammo.

Keep in mind, the use of a comparator gauge to measure your chamber's free bore and determine the "sweet spot" of bullet seating depth is as important as your powder selection. Scoring 1/2" MOA all day. Good luck!