.223 questions.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ChuckR, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Hi guys,
    I have a question on loading .223 soft tip bullets. First, I have reloaded 9mm, 30-06 and .223 FMJ without seeing this problem. But when I am reloading, using a FMJ soft point bullet, I seat the bullet and get a light ring indentation on the bullet where the die presses against the bullet when seating. The bullet does seat properly with no other problems. I can not get rid of this ring. I do not see this if I am using just a FMJ bullet. Both bullets are hornady 55gr, just that one is a soft point. What can I do to get rid of this ring mark or does it matter? I have cleaned the die and readjusted with no luck.

My 2nd question is, do .223 need to be crimped? I do put a very light crimp on my 9mm and have done it on my 30-06, but the more I read, the more it seems that you should not crimp rifle ammo except in certian circumstances such as magnums ect. As usual thanks for any input you can give.

Chuck
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

crimp if its for a semi auto, dont bother if its for a bolt action, lever action, pump action or singleshot. That ring is from the seater stem. you can polish the seater plug with a bullet and some lapping compound and it will minimize the ring, but it doesnt hurt anything. SP bullets will mark near the tip like that because the jacket is really thin to facilitate expansion. FMJs dont because the tip is closed jacket material and very sturdy.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My 223 is a Semi-Auto and I crimp all it's ammo with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If your ring is on your ogive then it is the die. My hornady dies do this to the real thin jacket 50gr V-Max bullets. What I do is make sure every round is chamfered and deburred then I go REAL slow when I feel the bullet contact the seating rod part of the die. If I do that it doesn't give me the ring.
  5. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Guys,
    THANKS for all your inputs, you guys have helped me immensely over the last few months. This has got to be the best reloading forum I know of.:D:D

Chuck