1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.223 reloading question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by new kid, Feb 10, 2004.

1. new kid

new kid New Member

Hi all, I am not a reloader... yet. But before my father passed away he reloded a bunch of .223 rounds. They seemed to be shooting really hot so I pulled them apart and weighed the powder and bullets.

I want to make sure that I'm not going to blow my gun or myself up with these loads. The casings seemed to be marked lc 89 + and lc 92 + The bullets are win 55g psp the powder is Acurrate 2230. I pulled 7 bullets apart and the powder weighed between 25.9 grains to 26.4 grains.

I am currently shooting them out of a ruger mini 14 pre ban w/ synthetic stock, but want to buy either a rem. 700 .223 bolt gun or model 70 win. bolt gun to shoot these bullets if they are safe. When they are shot I see powder down range about 50-75 yards. Almost like I'm seeing the bullt like a tracer shoot out. They are loud as he!! when shot. What should I do with these rounds? Do you think I'll be safe? I looked on the net and it seems like the max charge I've seen for 55 grain and the 2230 is up to 26.5 grains of powder.

Please give me your advice. I really appreciate all help. Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What your seeing is over pressure due to the fact that they were loaded in military cases which are thicker than commercial cases. The LC marking is Lake City Aresenal, a military ammo manufacturing plant. The 89 and 92 are the years of manufacture. With Military cases, the charge should be reduced by 5% and then worked up from there. I will bet if you look at the primer of a fired case that it will be expanded to full width of the hole and flattened. This is a sign of over pressure. Let us know.