.223 reloading question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jhanhart, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jhanhart

jhanhart New Member

Hello all I'm new here so maybe someone can help me out. I'm reloadi ng. Remington 223 brass I have hodgon 4350 powder and 55 and 65 grain bullets. My question is how much powder do I use. I can't find it in my manual. Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What manual are you using?
    I don't have mine in front of me, but I will do some checking. Best if I can find it in your manual or something you can read for yourself. I don't trust much off the internet, typos and ooppps's happen.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

jhan, welcome to TFF.

I don't find 4350 in any of my manuals for 223 with any weight bullet. I didn't see a 65 grain bullet either, I do see 60, 63, 68 and 69 grain bullets but none with that powder. You might want to get a powder that is in your manual. I suggest Varget or Win 748, both are good for .223 and are in every list for just about every weight bullet above 50 grain.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I don't see any listed loads for H4350; this tells me that they didn't find it suitable for use in .223 loads.

It's intended for use in short mags and larger volume cases; it's a slower burning powder than what will not perform well in .223. My suggestion is to get some Varget or H335 and try it out.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

4350, all three are way to slow for the 223.

May I suggest you get a manual or three and read them, before you build any handloads.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

H4350 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to slow for the .223. you wont find data because it doesnt exist. Grab you a can of H335 or Varget.
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've had good results from VihtaVuori N140. For my 1:9 twist barrel I use LC or PPU brass, 24.6 gr N140 and 69 gr SMK heads.
    As has already been said, do a lot of reading and get help from someone else who knows reloading. Before I started reloading a friend took me through the basics, I got advice from some of the guys at the club, and shot my first reloads without any problems.
    Get the outside help and then enjoy the reloading and shooting.
  8. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

The ONLY 65 gr. bullet I've ever encountered for .223 is the Sierra Gameking. This is my TOP choice for an all-around bullet. It requires a twist rate of 1 turn in 9" or faster. I load it with 24.5 gr of Varget over a std. Win. primer, and seated to magazine length in my AR.
    Once you find the best load for your rifle, you're way ahead to stick with just one bullet/load for the bulk of your stock, to keep from having to re-zero each time you use a different load.
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I personally recommend Varget also. Works very, very well! For your actual load data use any Loading Manual or go to Hodgdon website and utilize the web manual there. I use the Hodgdon site frequently and even print off the pages for my notebook and quick review. Good luck and welcome aboard jhanhart from the GREAT STATE OF IOWA!
  10. kpbkpb

kpbkpb New Member