.223 reloading questions? size and deprime and case length?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Feb 22, 2012.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

so i just started to reload .223 rem. i bought a brand new set of rcbs small base dies from turners. but im having a problem right off the back. my cases are getting dented on the shoulder. it feels preety smooth going up BUT coming down i feel a lil jerk feeling around the case mout/neck. is that normal? why am i denting my brass?

ounce im done sizing and depriming my cases are reading 1.753 and in my book it says trim to lenght 1.750.. will the .003 make me or break me?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The shoulder dents are too muck lube!! The 1.753 is good, the maximum length for .223/5.56 is 1.760. The 1.750 is the minimum length you would want to trim them to.

You need to ease up on the lube, it is like the old hair gel for men, Brylcreme, A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YOU!!
  3. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Maybe too much sizing lube??
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

my advice is to take that lube and lube pad you have and set them to the side
    and get some of this

[​IMG]

it's wax and you just wipe some on your hand and rub them onto the cases.
    A very small amount works for many rounds and it won't build up.

it is the best thing I've found
  5. 11B-101ABN

11B-101ABN New Member

Try putting a small amount of lube on a Q-Tip and lube the INSIDE of the case mouth. That may smooth out your downstroke.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

11B is absolutely right, that or use some mica, which is pretty much the same thing. It is normal to have that little "jerk" when the expander ball comes out of the case neck if you don't use a lube.
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

+1 on what was said about the dents. I still have the occasional one that does it.
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I never lube inside the case mouth, unless the next step is back to cleaning, you will get powder stuck inside the neck and crunchy bullet seating. Clean the brass well and deal with a little resistance on the upstroke- no biggie. Also a LITTLE polishing on top of the expander button will help smooth things out.

Learning the proper amount of case lube and where to apply it take a bit of practice and understanding. I apply Hornady Unique case lube on thumb and forefinger and roll the bottom 1/3 of the case between my fingers, a VERY light amount is required only! To close to the shoulder and dents occur. Keep in mind accumulation of lube occurs inside the die, as you go along you'll feel the sweet spot of resizing soon.
  9. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That would be way too much lube.
    When full length sizing, I lube the outsides of the neck, shoulder, body, and head region; never forgetting to lube the inside of the neck, I don't want to pull out my expander/decapper.

From my Lee reloading manual, that came with my press.
    [​IMG]

I've never had a problem with needing to clean lube after the fact.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

socal, press your palm on the lube pad and rub your hands together. Then roll a few of the cases at a time between your hands, what residue gets transferred to the cases is plenty.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the LEE case lube diluted with alcohol in a spray bottle. Just pile all your brass in a freezer bag and spray them a few times and shake it up, repeat and shake again. then set them all out and let them dry. Never had a stuck case or a dented shoulder with that stuff.
  12. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I use the Lee lube shown in that picture. I expect that tube to last me the rest of my life.
  13. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I use one shot, cost a bit more but boy is it easy. Spray wait a min or two and go to town. i get them all lined up in a row and spray, then i rotate a half turn and spray again. I also get some in the neck and yes i do clean after sizing.
  14. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

I also use the One Shot spray. Toss my brass into a 1gallon ziplock bag, spray 2-3 seconds, close and turn bag over several times. Open bag and respray another 2-3 seconds and then turn bag by hand a couple more times. Open and let dry. Works like a charm.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use the exact same procedure with the alcohol diluted Lee paste lube mix.