.223 reloading tips

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tmergen24, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Im new to reloading and the first caliber I'm starting to reload is .223 any advice ?
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tmergen24 welcome to the forum. This is a great place for getting help with lots of experts happy to share their experience and wisom.

The only dumb question about reloading is the unasked one. Better to ask a question than have an "accident". So ask away all you want.

You'll find we're a friendly bunch with strong patriotic opinions and a great sense of humor. Enjoy the forum.

What twist rate is your barrel? Twist rate can influence what weight bullet you use.

What kind of gun are you reloading for? I see reloading for AR15's getting different treatment from bolt action.

Are you reloading for target shooting, self defense, or hunting?

What reading/training have you done so far?
  3. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

It is a bushmaster carbon-15 with a 1/9 twist a 16 inch barrel and I will be using it for mostly target shooting
  4. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

And I've read a few manuals and watched quite a few videos and think I have the basics down
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine's a Styer Elite, same twist.

I have three kinds of cases I've been using, so have developed loads for each case.
    I've developed the following loads using the 69 grain Sierra Match King heads.
    I use Vihtavouri N-140 and Remington, CCI, and some German brand of primers.

For the PPU cases: 24.6 gr. N-140
    For the PMC (military) cases: 22.4 gr. N140
    For the FNM cases: 24.4 gr. N140

For my rifle, the best cartridge overall length is 2.340 inches.

These work well for my rifle.

In developing the loads, I started with the minimum load for the head/powder combination, loaded 5 rounds, and moved up to the maximum load in moderate increments--.2 grains or so. The load that got the smallest group was the winner.
    I found that approaching maximum loads in the milspec cases filled the cases to the point where the bullet was compressing the powder. I didn't uses those.

That's a starter.

Keep asking. Others will have different recipies.

I'll be asking the same questions re: .243 in the near future.
  6. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Thank you for the info
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

24.5 gr IMR4895 under a 53 gr sierra matchking. Developed in commercial R-P brass but I used it indescriminantly in mixed brass, including mil surp brass, for my AR and Mini-14.

Watch out for that primer crimp if you indulge in mil surp brass..
  8. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

As a beginner, reading manuals comes before anything else. A very close second would be understanding headspace inside, outside and upside down. This is the subtle subject in which many people skim over and wonder why they have function problems in gas guns and indications of overpressure. Maybe a little stray off subject, but before the load stuff comes into play a bit homework will help you keep the AR running first time out.
  9. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

10. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Here is a good read on loading for Service rifles.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

Target shooting for accuracy or for fun? If for accuracy you will need to start out with a good quality bullet. Cheap bullets are cheap for a reason. Cheap and accurate should not be used in the same sentence. My 1-9 Colt shoots 52-55gr Nolser BT and CC, Sierra Match, Hornady V-Max well with the 53gr Sierra HPMK the best.
  11. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Thankyou