223 reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mjforster, Oct 13, 2008.

1. mjforster

mjforster New Member

I am currently reading about reloading. I currently am shoot 5.56 out of my m4 and I have been saving the brass. Will I be able to use that brass as a 223 or can I get a die for 5.56 to reload it?
  2. RustyFN

RustyFN New Member

Same thing. Get 223 dies. Loading for a AR you will want to full length resize, you will need to lube the cases. I have never found the need for a small base die, I just use a regular FL sizing die. Get a good reloading manual and read it. There is some case prep you will need to do for loading rifle and the manual will explain all of that. Also if it's military ammo you will need to swage the primer pocket to get rid of the crimp.
    Rusty
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another thing worth mentioning when using 5.56 military brass...
    Military brass will typically be built with heavier case walls than it's commercial counterpart. A thicker casing will have a smaller internal volume...which can play heck with cartridge pressures. A load that is fine in commercial brass could wind up having much higher pressure when loaded in military brass. In a case the size of the 5.56/.223, the volume difference is more noticeable than a larger case such as the 7.62x51/.308 or the .30-06.