1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.223 reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 300 H&H, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Recently bought a .223 bolt gun. Interestingly it has a 27" Shilen barrel. I have shot it a couple of times, like 10 shots to check the zero. I am wondering if the long barrel might be taken advantage of with hand loads. The twist rate appears to be 1 in 14", but could be 1 in 12" as well. So heavy bullets, in excess of 60 gr. probably will not shoot well in it.

In the past with heavy bullets I have been using Varget in my 1 in 7 twist AR. with 69 to 77 gr bullets. Will Varget work well with lighter bullets?

Gun is a Remington 722 action, Shilen barrel. Stock is an early 40X rimfire stock. The rifle looks just like a heavy barrelled 40X does, with the exception of the in the white bolt handle, and it is a repeater, as a true 40X is single shot, back in the days of wood stocks anyway. A friend built it for prarrie dogs, and wanted a repeater, just like his target rifle, hence the 27" barrel.

So what would you consider a good powder/bullet for such a rifle?

Thanks, Kirk
  2. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

I'm not shooting out of a 27" barrel, but Ramshot TAC and W748 are my "go to" powders for .223.

TAC seems to be much less temperature sensitive, if it matters.
  3. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I've had good results with varget, with that barrel/twist ration, I would reccommend some Hornady either 35 or 40gr. V-max, you should see great velocity with those, in excess of 3500 fps
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Thanks for your replies guys,

Guess I need to get out the old reloading manual, and get busy. Here is I hope a picture of the rifle.

[​IMG]

Not alot of muzzle blast comes out of 27" of barrel ;):D

Regards, Kirk
  5. Texxut

Texxut Member

Great looking coyote gun.
  6. gdcpony

gdcpony New Member

My pet load for a 25" Howa Thumbhole was a max load of h-335 under a 40gr Ballistic tip. Next was the same using Varget. Varget would use that extra length really well.
    Nice looking rig!
  7. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Out of my 223 i've used H335, H4895, and benchmark. I got some pretty nice groups out of each.