.223 rem reloading question??

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by socalfamous87, Apr 19, 2012.

1. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

on one of my previous post i had a problem with some .223 for my ar15. i tried seating the bullet way deaper after it was already crimped. it deformed the neck a lilltle. now i pulled the bullets out and saved some of the powder. now my question is....can i re-size the case? of course i wouldnt need to de-prime because theirs a live primer, BUT is it possible?
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

You really don't need to resize at all. If you find the neck tension on the bullets once they are seated again to be lacking, then you will need to use the expander/decapper to increase the neck tension. You may be able to get away with running the case into the die just past the expander without depriming the case and then bring it back out. Give it a try and see what happens.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

I would have to say that if you deformed the necks a little then you should size them back into specs.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yes you can resize them. You can either kill the primer and decap/resize or you can reset you decapping/expander stem up about a half inch or so and resize without removing the primer. You will need to use the expander ball to get that crimp removed from the case mouth so you can seat the bullet again.

Depending on how far you set the neck back it may have pushed the shoulder back into the neck far enough to push the case wider at the bottom of the bottleneck far enough that the cases will have problems chambering.
    I do this every so often with the .204 and .222 if I don't have a good chamfer on the inside of the case mouth before seating the bullet. A pass through the resizing die will square it up enough that it will chamber okay.

Ideal situation...
    Buy a Go/No-Go gauge for your ammo. Not chamber gauges...cartridge gauges.
    If a collapsed case fits the Go gauge, then it'll work fine.
    If it doesn't then resize and try it again.
    If the neck is set back too far that it falls too far into the gauge, then it will cause an excessive headspace condition that can be dangerous to fire. Those you'll just need to discard.
  5. socalfamous87

socalfamous87 New Member

thanks everyone!