.223 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by duck32man, Apr 22, 2012.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

I am looking to buy a .223 bolt action rifle. I have an ar but I want to add a bolt to the family. What would you all suggest keeping things in the $500-600range. I like the look of wood over laminate. This will be strictly a range rifle. I have looked on-line at Savage and Ruger. Thanks in advance.

Duck
  2. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

It's very hard to beat the deals on Savage rifles. It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle as to which one you should get. They sell rifles for different purposes from hunting to plinking to varmint shooting to target shooting. If I wanted a hunting rifle I'd be looking at something like this. I know this one is a .243 but they make a .223 version. I nearly bought a .243 about a year ago but I ended up buying something else since I already had a hunting rifle. Again a lot of it depends on what you want to do. I know you said wood but I'd strongly consider their Weather Warrior line of rifles. They have synthetic stocks and stainless metal and they stand up to all sorts of bad weather especially in salt water country. But you might live 500 miles from any salt water and have no plans to get out in bad weather for any reason. But you get the idea. They have a rifle for a lot of different purposes.

I personally have a 12 LRPV in .223 which is a varmint rifle. I wouldn't want to carry it around hunting though. It weighs 11.5 lbs. without the scope. But it sure is accurate out to long distances.
  3. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy if your intrested you could look at mossberg. In the recent past they have come out with three bolt action rifles. The 4x4, 100 ATR and MVP are real good rifles. And I belive they all come in 223 I have the 100 ATR its a great rifle. Good luck and have fun !!!!!!!!!!!
  4. duck32man

duck32man Member

Wow...I really like the looks of the mossberg mvp. I like that it is versatile with ar mag acceptance. Now I need to find one I can actually put my hands on. Thanks
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Savage rifles have always been noted for very tight grouping accuracy. Simply put: as good as the best production rifles, and better than the rest, regardless of price.

Savage rifles in years past were somewhat "ugly ducklings" as compared to more expensive competitor products. Thus, the question becomes: Do you want a rifle that shoots good or look good?
  6. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

One of my Savage Model 25 .223 Caliber rifles. So accurate you can strike a match from 700 yards away.

Attached Files:

7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

Savage has actually done a lot to make their rifles look better in recent years too Hammerslagger. They might not be the absolute best rifles you can buy but they are the best rifles you can buy in the stated price range. And I'm not at all sure they aren't the best of all rifles. I just know some people claim to have Sako rifles that are better and of course Accuracy International is said to make the best rifles. But a Sako is going to be about 3 times the price mentioned and a AI is about 6 times as much. And the difference in accuracy is only slight even according to those that say the other rifles are better.

I do know that Savage makes production rifles that compete against custom built rifles and beat those custom rifles on a regular basis in F/TR and F Class shooting. When I bought my rifle I bought one that had the action and the barrel used on those rifles except the barrel is 4" shorter. Most people on the Savage board say the one I have is actually the best rifle Savage makes. I can see why they think that. The thing is so accurate and easy to shoot well that it's almost like you have to try to mess up when shooting it before it will miss what you want to hit. I've never pulled the rifle off line by jerking the trigger for example. It's just so rock solid it just stays where you aim it no matter what almost. The results are amazing. 1" groups at 300 yards are the norm. If you calculate the drop correctly it will hit what you aim it at unless there's a sudden change in the crosswind while the bullet is in the air.