223 to 17 rem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hotelthreeromeo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

I just bought a 17 rem and was wondering if it's feasible to resize 223 brass to 17 rem. In reading i found that they are pretty close. I have found very little information on this. It seems more people use 204 and 222 brass. I have a bucket of 223 and thought it would add to the reloading experience to make my own brass. I did find i could buy the die set at Midway for three hundred dollars which would buy a lot of 17 Rem brass. Just thought i'd come ask the pros. Thanks for your time
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

anneal the .223 brass and run them up into the 17 rem die slowly, do it a couple times turning the case 1/4 turn in the shell holder each pass. Then trim to 17 rem length and fireform... The problem with necking down using a full length resizing die is the case tends to want to buckle when forcing the oversized neck into the undersized die. Necking up similar cartridges this way isnt a problem. For example 7TCU from .223 rem is simply running them up into the 7TCU die...
  3. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

Thanks, I got a die on the way and am going to give it a go.