1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

223 to 17 rem

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hotelthreeromeo, Apr 1, 2010.

1. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

I just bought a 17 rem and was wondering if it's feasible to resize 223 brass to 17 rem. In reading i found that they are pretty close. I have found very little information on this. It seems more people use 204 and 222 brass. I have a bucket of 223 and thought it would add to the reloading experience to make my own brass. I did find i could buy the die set at Midway for three hundred dollars which would buy a lot of 17 Rem brass. Just thought i'd come ask the pros. Thanks for your time
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

anneal the .223 brass and run them up into the 17 rem die slowly, do it a couple times turning the case 1/4 turn in the shell holder each pass. Then trim to 17 rem length and fireform... The problem with necking down using a full length resizing die is the case tends to want to buckle when forcing the oversized neck into the undersized die. Necking up similar cartridges this way isnt a problem. For example 7TCU from .223 rem is simply running them up into the 7TCU die...
  3. hotelthreeromeo

hotelthreeromeo New Member

Thanks, I got a die on the way and am going to give it a go.