.223 Varmint Upper Build advice...

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Apr 19, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I have been following the other thread on the Ar build, and didn't want to parasite off of it...

I like the new Rock River ATH Hybrid Tactical/Varmint rifle they just came out with, but...

... I think I am going to try to build a varmint upper for my Rock River 16" tactical I now have...Thanks to my win of a TFF drawing a few months back I have a DPMS free float tube and low profile gas block...

..so if I figure right I just need to buy a stripped upper and a barrel and gas tube and I am in business, right?

I will check out the Detroit uppers as discussed in the other thread, but am also interested in the DPMS high rise flattop I saw at Brownells, but I guess I need the most advice on barrels...

I am interested in building either a 18" or 20" stainless heavy bull or fluted tube chambered in either .223 Rem or .223 Wylde. I quess I should go for .223 Rem as it will be a varmint/Prairie dog rifle, shooting mostly match ammo or reloads, so I want the best groups, and my regular upper can handle the cheap NATO stuff since it's chambered in 5.56 NATO.

Any suggestions?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That is correct. That float tube and gas block you won came from a DPMS lo pro and the gasblock ID is .936", just about as bull as you could want in a varmint upper.

I too would go with the .223 rem dedicated upper IF, and thats a big IF, you handload. If your handloading go with the wylde and take advantage of anything thatll fit the chamber.
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If this is a walking varminter then I would go with a 18" bull barrel.

If this is a bench varmint rifle. As in you take it out of the car/ truck to a bench then shoot varmints from there. I would go with 24"

I like the wylde chamber because you can get good accuracy out of both 223 and 556 ammo. Plus if you go wylde then you can use it for 556 ammo is SHTF.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I'm thinking my 16" mid length carbine upper that came with my RR in 5.56 will probably be on it if the SHTF and I had nothing but NATO ammo for the zombies...;)

What barrel (make and type and twist) do you recommend...and with that tube am I limited to 20" or more or would an 18" fit the bill?

I'm seeing varmint barrels in either .223 or Wylde ranging from about $250 to $500...

Shilen has a decent SS bull in Wylde with a matched bolt 20" they claim is headspaced and "drop in" that I can get from Brownells with my discount for like $420...and I know a lot of bench resters like Shilen....

I figure with the DPMS stripped flattop upper without the forward assist or dust cover for $89 I would pretty much have a DPMS custom upper for maybe $550 plus my time, right?

Just waiting for a bipod and maybe a Nikon Nikoplex AR scope...:D
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Have you looked at any of the parts directly from DPMS? I got my gas tube assembly, bolt carrier, and a few small items from them.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/

I have also bought parts from Numrich arms and (believe it or not) from the Sportsman's Guide. The stuff I got from SG was also DPMS parts