Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rik, Jun 10, 2003.

1. rik

rik New Member

Hey all
    I went to the pit with a friend, and got a chance to shoot His new .223 bolt action heavy barrel rifle. I really liked it, because it was soooo loud, had no kick, and at a 100 yards we were blowing up rocks the size of a racket ball. I also liked that the price per shot was pretty resonable. I am thinking about getting a .223 cal rifle, and was wondering what you all thought about which one, and wether or not to get a heavy barrel.

thanks
    rik
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hi rik, and welcome to TFF!

Are you looking for a bolt-action, or semi-auto?
  3. rik

rik New Member

Bolt action
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi Rik and welcome to TFF. I have an old S&W 1500 .223 bull barrel that was made by Howa in Japan. With the right load it will shoot 1/2 inch groups all day long. Of course I have an old Weaver T-16 scope on it. Howa is still made in Japan. Enjoy!
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hmmm...

Sounds like it's time for a .223 match too!...Y'all wanna do "Black Rifles" and Bolts... Scoped and "Not"...100 yds.,...[​IMG]
  6. rik

rik New Member

say wha

Hey guys I'm new to this whole forum, and I don't really know what was just written.

just wondering what I should get for a bolt action .223
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!...

Sorry and Welcome rik!...The .223 caliber rifle...is a favorite of mine, and I was lookin' for some challenger's...[​IMG]
  8. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome to the madhouse rik, you just opened up a whole can of worms. Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. What do you want to do with this gun, hunt,punch paper, or both? More info and you will get alot of different replys. I personally want an AR 15,but a bolt would be nice also.
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Rik.....welcome to TFF.

What type (and caliber) of gun you should get depends on what kind of use you want it for.

Heavy barrel, bolt action rifles in small bore, hi-velocity calibers (such as the one you shot) are mostly used for target or small varmint shooting.
  10. rik

rik New Member

I guess I'm still a bit out of the loop, How exactly does this whole challenger thing work when I'm in Maine, and you;re Sittin in a cornfield...Lookin' up at the Stars!...Somewhere's!...in the Midwest!?????

I think that punching paper would be the closest of the two choices given, but blowing up rocks, will probably take presidence over holes in paper, unless of course fruit and veggies are as interesting as rocks.
    Now about the bolt, I was thinking bolt mainly because of my (possibly uninformed and ignorant) understanding that a bolt was the most accurate.
    Is an AR 15 semi auto?

Whatever replies you give understand one thing, I like to shoot, but as far as lingo, and technical I'm lost.
  11. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

a lot of AR-15s will shoot like a house on fire !..but they can get expensive real quick like...I like the Remington model 7..but then again who doesn't ?
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Hey rik, welcome to TFF.
    What Smokin Guns is talking about is, we have a friendly little match going on here at TFF. Take your favorite (or not so favorite) 22 pistol, with or without scope, 22 rifle, again with or without, or your centerfire handgun, to your local range (or favorite shootin spot) and shoot some targets that you can printout online. We have a link to the targets in the 22 rimfire and other forums. Then we take pictures of the guns and targets, and post them here. It is just for fun, a reason to go to the range, and braggin rights. Smokin Guns just took the “braggin rights” back away from my wife with his Dakota 357 for the centerfire pistol champ. I think. LOL

As for you inquiry about the 223, quite a few of the “black rifles” (misnamed terminology “assault” rifles) use the 223 caliber. The AR-15, bushmaster, Arnalite, Rock River, Steyr, Olympic Arms, as well as a bunch of others. Inherently the bolt action is more accurate than a semi-auto. If you are just looking to punch paper, bust up rocks, or some small game hunting, it is a good caliber (and cheep ammo). Although in most states you can not use a 223 for big game hunting (too small of a caliber.) As for getting the heavy barrel, a regular barrel will do pretty good. If you want to move the bullet into the X ring instead of just the 10 ring, then spend the extra money and get the heavy.

Targets have;
    X ring = 1” across.
    10 ring = 2” across.

Smokin Guns;
    I would shoot with ya on the 223, except I am limited to the scope I have on the Steyr. I can not put a big honkin scope on it so that I can shoot into one hole at 100 yards. Now if’n ya want to spot me a few yards????? ROFLMAO
  13. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yepper's...

Pickenup!, Explained it better than I could have ever typed it!...Jump on in and read and post/reply to find out what the best rifle/pistol is!...Lot's of different combo's give lot's of different results...[​IMG]
  14. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!

Pic-n-up!...Let's Roll! 100 yds...your steyr bolt against my semi-auto colt...Winner gets...Ummm...Laughin' rights!....[​IMG]
  15. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I'm already laughin'
    Yup....lets roll.
    Ahhh.... Steyr is not a bolt.
  16. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Rik......yes, the AR-15 is the semi-auto version of the M-16 that the U.S. Military uses. Probably more expensive than what you need, and not the best choice for paper punching and rock plinking.

If you want to stick with .223 (a pretty good choice for what you want), a nice bolt-action heavy barrel rifle will do the job nicely.

You don't need anything really expensive or fancy. A very nice, accurate, moderately priced rifle for the job is the Savage Varmint series: http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/varmint/10fp.htm

Whereabouts in Maine are you from?

I'm originally from Maine (Brewer, Bucksport, Leeds).....now on the flat, boring prairies of Minn-eeee-sota.
  17. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Xracer,you need to come over and visit me and Warpig ifn ya want to see flat boring plains. Where in Minnesota are ya from? I used to live in Winnona.
  18. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welp!...

...there ya go!...think ya know everything and someone comes along ...and Lurns' ya somethin' new...pickenup, I thought they were all Bolt's...shows me how much I know about "Steyr's"...Now I have to go...and do some homework...[​IMG]...the .223 shootin' match is still on though!... [​IMG]
  19. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Y'all up for a .223 match?...

If so tommorow's the start...even if I got ta do it in the rain!...Let me know!...[​IMG]
  20. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Had an IDPA match this morning (Sat) loaded up all the gear in the scoot. (Was way too early for me to be a thinkin) Threw in an extra pistol, the 10-22, and the Steyr for our matches here. When I got done with the IDPA match I set up for TFF shootin. Shot the pistol & the 10-22, (will post pics later) Set the 100 yard target up and got the rifle out. Stood there in disbelief, I forgot to bring any mags for it. (can’t carry it in it’s case, when transporting it on the scoot, and all the mags are in the case) I knew it was too early in the morning for me to think straight. Did not feel like feeding them one at a time, so I gave up and went home. The reason it was so frustrating is that I did the SAME DARN THING with the 10-22 the week before. (remembered a 10-22 mag this time) Seems like the older you get, the more CRS comes into play. Will have to try again later.