1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by rik, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Rik......yes, the AR-15 is the semi-auto version of the M-16 that the U.S. Military uses. Probably more expensive than what you need, and not the best choice for paper punching and rock plinking.

If you want to stick with .223 (a pretty good choice for what you want), a nice bolt-action heavy barrel rifle will do the job nicely.

You don't need anything really expensive or fancy. A very nice, accurate, moderately priced rifle for the job is the Savage Varmint series: http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire/varmint/10fp.htm

Whereabouts in Maine are you from?

I'm originally from Maine (Brewer, Bucksport, Leeds).....now on the flat, boring prairies of Minn-eeee-sota.
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Xracer,you need to come over and visit me and Warpig ifn ya want to see flat boring plains. Where in Minnesota are ya from? I used to live in Winnona.
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welp!...

...there ya go!...think ya know everything and someone comes along ...and Lurns' ya somethin' new...pickenup, I thought they were all Bolt's...shows me how much I know about "Steyr's"...Now I have to go...and do some homework...[​IMG]...the .223 shootin' match is still on though!... [​IMG]
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Y'all up for a .223 match?...

If so tommorow's the start...even if I got ta do it in the rain!...Let me know!...[​IMG]
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Had an IDPA match this morning (Sat) loaded up all the gear in the scoot. (Was way too early for me to be a thinkin) Threw in an extra pistol, the 10-22, and the Steyr for our matches here. When I got done with the IDPA match I set up for TFF shootin. Shot the pistol & the 10-22, (will post pics later) Set the 100 yard target up and got the rifle out. Stood there in disbelief, I forgot to bring any mags for it. (can’t carry it in it’s case, when transporting it on the scoot, and all the mags are in the case) I knew it was too early in the morning for me to think straight. Did not feel like feeding them one at a time, so I gave up and went home. The reason it was so frustrating is that I did the SAME DARN THING with the 10-22 the week before. (remembered a 10-22 mag this time) Seems like the older you get, the more CRS comes into play. Will have to try again later.
  6. rik

rik New Member

From portland

Xracer
    I'm from portland. I don't know much about min-eeee-sota, but it must be easier to find a place to target shoot out there than it is in the portland area

rik
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Yeah rik.......not much place to shoot in the Portland area, you might hit a "Summer Complaint"....and that's bad for the tourist business (although I hear it's open season on 'em come huntin' season). ;)

bigboom338....I live on a small lake about 50 miles west of the Twin Cities. All we have out here is corn fields and lakes.
  8. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

Remington 700 Varmit (or police, but the police models are harder to find in .223).
    I have one in .308 I am very proud of it ask smokin' guns
    its shoots sub .5 moa, with a good shooter. @ 50 yards- 100 yards it can be a one hole gun.

cant go wrong with a good 'ole remmy 700. the varmit comes with a free floating bull barrel, with many variants, kevlar stock, wood stock, fluted, stainless, blue, parkerized (I think, the matte black), electronic trigger, normal trigger set trigger, etc.
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I see Smokin is still "Stokin" everyone. Don't have a black gun 'cept in .308. I do have that S&W bull barrel in .223 with a Weaver T-16 on it though.

Rik:
    When I got out of the service in early 1972, I had a job with Sperry Gyroscope. I was in charge of the boat crew revamping DLG's from 5" deck guns to Terrier M missle systems. I was sent to Bath, Maine (the shipyards) and at night we use to go down to the dump, where they dumped shrimp remains from a local factory and there were at least 20 to 30 people there shooting rats from the top. Quite a lot of fun. Had bought a Marlin model 60 and went through a heck of a lot of ammo each night. It was fun hitiin them little rascals as they went from hole to hole runnin!

:D :D :D
  10. riderbob

riderbob New Member

Just west of " You sure do live a long way from
    Dang it SG !!

There you go again SG

Trying to get me in trouble with the misses. You go and call out a .223 match and I feel obligated to go and buy a new gun just to compete. How about a .22 cal centerfire match instead. Seeinz I have one of those(22-250), It might just save me some money and a marraige. LOL

Rider
  11. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I'm thinkin of getting a .223 bolt gun perhaps a remmy model 40 bench rest gun