.224 52gr Hornady BTHP Match

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by BigBlack, Oct 7, 2008.

1. BigBlack

BigBlack New Member

Okay not a huge selection at my local supplier so I picked up a box of these to develop some loads for my Remington 700 ADL .223. Initial load development was at 100 yards and yielded a .6” group at 24.5grs of powder. So I set up for group 2 and worked in 1 grain increments forward and back from 24.5 and shot a .6 group again with 24.5 and a .3” group at 24.6. I did a confirm loading and went back and shot a .5” again with the 24.6. So now that I have worked this up it dawned on me that I was using a match bullet and not a game bullet. I will use this rifle for varminting and paper punching. Will this bullet be sufficient for game or do I need to start over with a game type bullet. My varmints include wild dogs, armadillos, possums, coyotes etc..., with coyotes and wild dogs being my biggest varmint.
  2. BigBlack

BigBlack New Member

oops typo did .1 grain not 1 grain increments
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Generally, the "Match" type bullets aren't designed specifically for use on game...you might not get the expansion that you're hoping for.

I know the Sierra match bullets actually have a thicker jacket than their game bullet counterparts...I've sectioned a few of them for use on bullet boards. These also typically act more like an FMJ than a hollow point...I shot a few coyotes with the Sierra Matchkings out of my 22-250 and the bullet just punched right on through instead expanding/disentegrating on impact.

I'm not sure about the Hornady match designs though but I'd expect the same results.

On varmints, I've had good luck with the Hornady 55gr SPSX (Super-eXplosive) bullet in the .222 and .223. this is a thin-jacketd bullet that's specifically built for use at .222/.223 velocities.
    Same goes for the 50 and 55gr Sierra hollow point designs...I always prefered their thin-jacketed "Blitz" bullets in the .223 for the same reason the SPSX Hornady's worked good. They'll hit a coyote and almost always disentigrate on entrance...leaving you with no large exit wound to sew up in the hide.
  4. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

If you like experimenting with cheaper bullets, you might try some Dogtown bullets from Midway or I've had great accuracy results from Varmint Nightmare from Midsouthshooters.com
  5. BigBlack

BigBlack New Member

Will try them sometime, I am always up to try new stuff.
  6. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Lessee....hitting a 10-35 lb varmit with 1000 + ft. lbs of energy.......Or are you asking if that particular bullet is a match for your gun's twist rate ?

Unless you have some specific objective in mind - say like pelt preservation, IWC you have to "speriment" with loads/ranges to find the optimum solution(s) - choosing the most accurate bullet, (provided of course you're capable of hitting the small vital area of most varmits at long range) usually leads to the most "humane" kills.

BTW, the same applies to "big game" as well, despite the published rantings of self-annointed "experts"........ >MW
  7. whip

whip New Member

I have shot more than 50 coyotes with that bullet over the last three years. I used it to reduce pelt damage but it would still tear huge holes in coyotes if it hit major bones like the shoulder or back. As far as being a good choice for the animals you mentioned it will get the job done. It actually has a slighly heavier jacket and should stay together a little better than a traditional SP or one of the plastic tipped bullets from my experiences.