.224 BOZ, a Sizzler

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ArmaLube, Apr 20, 2003.

1. ArmaLube

ArmaLube New Member

Has anyone been tracking the development and progress of the .224 BOZ cartridge?

Invented by Civil Defence Supply, this intriguing number is based on a necked down 10mm auto shell casing. This is clearly a strong foundation. Bullets in the popular .224 caliber are available in ample variety. These design elements, obviously, did not materialize by accident. Primarily a handgun and smg round, the .224 BOZ emerges from the muzzle at 1800 fps and higher.

Some details are available at: http://www.civil-defence.org/products/ballistics/ballistics.html and http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1800/1823.htm.

It would appear that the .224 BOZ would be an ideal candidate for fairly simple barrel swap conversions with existing 10mm pistols.

If this cartridge catches on, it would bring an exciting new dimension to handgun performance. This could be one of the key ammo innovations to watch. Hopefully, some of the better handgun manufacturers will grab onto this hot item and run with it.
  2. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

The BOZ is an interesting round, but unless you use a very fragile bullet, you don't get no satisfaction (er, expansion). I can get the same kind of wound cavities with the 7.62x25 and a 60 grain pill designed for the .32 ACP cartridge, and I burn a lot less powder and carry a lot less metal.

The BOZ is at almost the power range of the .221 Fireball, and that is a light varmint round. Take a look at Dr. Fackler's comments on the PDW cartridges for a valid look at the likely effect of the BOZ under real world circumstances. The sheer amount of thud that the little bullet dispenses is not enough to cope with a three hundred pound PCP user. That said, it should make a fine field cartridge for pistol-popping crows out of tall trees....
  3. jc3

jc3 New Member

even easier, .223 Timbs. Simply an Accelerator type round for the 7.63x25. Feeds through existing mag and barrel. I forget the exact velocity, but it is in the neighborhood of 2000+ fps.
  4. ArmaLube

ArmaLube New Member

5. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

saboted .22 slug from 7.62x25

This is a very neat idea. However, I still prefer the original bore size, and the little Gold Dot .32 hollow point because it is a simple load to make up, and it does the same amount of damage as the little .224 slug. A rabbit mist-ifier....
  6. hkgunguy

hkgunguy New Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  7. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I'm completely obsessed with the 10mm auto cartridge and guns. While I think this is a really cool idea, I think the 9x25 Dillon is better served for most defense situations and if just optimal speed is desired, then probably the FN Five-seveN should go at least as fast and it's already necked down and ready to go. Now, if I could just get their submachine gun loaded with AP rounds!

Anybody have any 10mm firearms (in mint condition) to sell???
  8. ROTCC

ROTCC Former Guest

Paul Stout, at******************* sells hollowbased 60 gr 9mm bullets, cast of pure tin, which any 5" barreled 9x19 Luger (other than the poorly supported Beretta 92) will drive such bullets to 2100 fps. Makes the Boz look sick by comparison. They cost $35 for 20 such bullets, shipped. Paul is in his 80's these days, so he's not a speed demon, but you will get your bullets.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2005